[CUWiN-Dev] CUWiN 1.0 wishlist?

Paul Smith paul at cnt.org
Mon Jun 27 17:26:16 CDT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 11:54 AM, David Young wrote:

>> In trying to setup a multi-hop test bed we've had hslsd produce some
>> non-intuitive routing tables, had issues with nodes going offline
>> only to
>> find them in the debugger when we check with the serial console
>> (watchdog
>> seems to kick in right after we check serial console), and apparent
>> inconsistencies between the routing table and the routeviz output.
>
> Please file PRs on these issues.  I need to know if hslsd is producing
> "non-intuitive" routing tables (what does this mean?).

I think Bill is producing a diagram of this, but one of our test bed
nodes is intentionally hindered (no antenna or pigtail, case
artificially shielded) so that it will hop through its neighbor
instead of connecting directly to the gateway node. We can confirm
very weak beacons on the gateway from this disabled node, but it does
not route through its neighbor usually, despite there being a strong
link between the two (sitting right next to each other), and
sometimes it will route through a node way on the other side of the
room, further than the gateway. Now, granted there may be a lot of
things going on, multipath for one, but it seems as if there is no
correlation between signal strength and routing priority in this
particular setup. We know that's not what ETX measures, however the
subjective experience when the disabled node connects straight to the
gateway node is high latency.

> Also, nodes should not drop into the debugger.  I need for you to
> send me a
> stack trace (trace/u at the db> prompt) when that happens.  The
> watchdog is
> no help if it does not fire until the serial console is attached; just
> disable it.

Okay. Expect stack traces soon.

-Paul

>> We'd like to verify that hslsd is functioning properly and learn
>> how to
>> manually check its routing decisions from log or other output.
>
> Log output: activate logging for shortest paths first (SPF) using
> one of -l spf_{any,quiet,loud}.  Activate logging of expired-LSA
> purging with -l purge_{any,quiet}.  Look at the RIB updates using -l
> rib_{any,bufev,quiet}.  Information provided by -l peer_{quiet,any}
> will be useful.  You can find more of the -l options by grepping
> the .c
> files in hsls/, etx/, rib/, etc., for 'LOGLIB_.*SINK' .
>
> hslsd regularly dumps two databases to /var/db/.  In /var/db/
> linkstates
> are all of the linkstates.  In /var/db/vizlinks, the linkstates have
> been distilled into information for the visualizer.
>
> Dave
>
> --
> David Young             OJC Technologies
> dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933

Paul Smith            Center for Neighborhood Technology
http://www.cnt.org    Chicago, IL