[CUWiN-Dev] adding nameservers to node config

tom tom at anotherwastedday.com
Sun May 15 14:13:44 CDT 2005

I was at Mike Lehman's house today and I think I've refined his setup to the
point of usability. The trick is, his router doesn't give out DNS servers
along with a DHCP lease. Or if it does, it gives out the incorrect ones.
Mike's computer has a pair of DNS servers that it uses, and when I used
these I could connect to the Internet from my laptop through his node. I did
this by specifying the DNS servers on my own computer, though, not on the
node.

So the question becomes how to permanently add these nameservers to the
node. I believe they can just be added to /etc/resolv.conf, but I don't know
if that file persists after reboot. And a software upgrade would certainly
wipe them, but I think that's unavoidable and not necessarily too
problematic (we will just need to be careful about reinstating these servers
after an upgrade).

My knowledge of NetBSD networking is cursory at best, so I'm guessing this
is a simple operation that I just don't know how to do. Advice?

Tom