[CUWiN-Dev] Community Network Project in Pakistan:

Stephane Alnet stephane at shimaore.net
Mon May 23 23:03:26 CDT 2005

Sascha, Tariq,

>> these humble DCN
>> provide for more then 27% of the Internet Access in Pakistan.

[...]

>> Recently a DCN from Chakiwara [ a very low income area of
>> Karachi ] approached
>> us. Due to the fact that there are limited Phone lines and of poor
>> quality,
>> they have to rely upon radio link for internet access.
>> We were wondering if it is possible to get some help from you as
>> with limited
>> phone lines they need Voice over IP also so that they can reduce
>> their
>> dependence upon expensive Mobile Phone calls. We have some skill
>> with Asterisk.

I'd be more than happy to help with the Asterisk part, although I'd
need to better understand the infrastructure (I would guess the
objective would be to build a solution based on the khyberlinux
distribution?). A peer-to-peer VoIP solution like Skype would
probably be more appropriate for DCNs (or CUWiN for that matter), but
is proprietary. To start the conversation, one question I'd be
interested for DCNs is what hardware is available as voice endpoints
(sound cards?).

I couldn't get a lot of information on the khyberlinux distribution
from the website(s), too, although that sounded interesting.
S.