[CUWiN-Dev] builds using current NetBSD

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Wed May 25 02:43:06 CDT 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, David Young wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:55:12PM -0500, Bill Comisky wrote:
>>
>> I've tried a variety of NetBSD sources, but here's a chronicle of my
>> latest attempts.  The source used is described below:
>>
>> netBSD current dated 05-21-2005, with the following 2 modifications:
>> - Dave's host-tools-patch-22-Apr-2005 applied.
>> - src/sbin/veriexecctl/veriexecctl.c updated to v1.11
>>   (to avoid build error)
>>
>> [note to Dave: this version of current includes v1.197 of
>> src/sys/uvm/uvm_map.c]
>>
>> CUWiN source r3244 with attached patch applied
>> Patch includes minor changes to allow crossbuilding, fix location of
>> postinstall, add stuff to the trimlist, and a couple tweaks to get the
>> "Official" build and svnrev to output properly for my linux build.  A
>> couple of the things I added to the trimlist seem like they should've been
>> taken care of through the trimming of base-locale-ca and base-locale-sk
>> set lists (I'm over my head here, maybe makeplist isn't returning all the
>> files it should?).
>>
>> Results using same source on two build platforms:
>>
>> Linux build:
>> - Build completes, but hslsd still segfaults when started from /etc/rc.d
>>   (at boot time or from command line).  Just running /usr/sbin/hslsd
>>   without options does not cause a segfault.
>
> Sorry if I asked before, but what's in /etc/rc.conf.d/hslsd when the
> segfault occurs?

I put that file (+core files, build output, etc, see below) here:
http://bcomisky.com/cuwin/

>> - No $BUILDDIR/Z directory is produced.. another MAKEOBJDIR definition
>>   problem?  I'll try to find something that works under linux and build
>>   again later, so I can send unstripped binaries with the core files.
>>
>> NetBSD 1.6.2 build:
>> - Build fails with:
>>
>> [snip]
>> all ===> iswlan
>> nbmake: don't know how to make
>> /usr/local/cuwin/build/D/usr/include/errno.h. Stop
>
> How do you start the build?

I've got a wrapper script, but it calls mkstaboot in this case like:

./mkstaboot -C /usr/local/cuwin/svnrepo/src/boot-image/cuw_config \
  -P /usr/local/cuwin/svnrepo/src/boot-image/pwds \
  -b /usr/local/cuwin/netbsd/build -s /usr/local/cuwin/netbsd/current/src \
  -U /usr/local/cuwin/images/cuwin-0.5.6+.3244.tar.gz

oh crap, I just noticed the errno.h path is wrong in the error message
above.  The build dir should be: /usr/local/cuwin/netbsd/build as per the
mkstaboot command above.. just checked, I had deleted the build directory
and set the path to a new location, but there were some .depend files
lingering in the cuwin src subdirectories with the old build path. [some
time passes] ok, after deleting those .depend files the build on my netbsd
box finishes, but hslsd segfaults using the generated image from that
build as well.  The /etc/rc.conf.d/hslsd files were identical.

> Is there anything in /usr/local/cuwin/build/D/ ?  What about
> /usr/local/cuwin/build/ ?  Are your NetBSD sources cluttered with .o
> and .d files, by chance?

The only difference I can see is that on the Linux build machine there is
no $BUILDDIR/Z directory.  The $BUILDDIR/Z directory on the netbsd build
machine looks like it just has CUWiN /src object files in it.  The D I O T
directories are there and the $BUILDDIR/D directory is full.  And neither
build machines have .o/.d files cluttering the netbsd sources.

Since I do have a $BUILDDIR/Z machine on the netbsd box, I tar'd it up and
put it with the rest of files you may want to see, including:

/etc/rc.conf.d/hslsd
/var/core/hslsd.*
build output files (x2 for before and after I cleaned up the .depend files)
dmesg.boot
screen capture of console as it boots

Any other info I can give you?

Bill