[CUWiN-Dev] Routing Table Failures

John Atkinson john.atkinson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:28:14 CST 2005

It seems that my routing tables are not updating fast enough, or they are
not accurate.

My setup for this test is as so:

Node1 ------ Node2 ------ Node3

Where Node2 has to be present for Node1 and Node3 to communicate.

Node1 is the sole Internet-connected node. From Node1 I can ping Node2 but
not Node3. But from Node1 I can ssh into Node2 and then ping or ssh into
Node3. So from Node1 I can ssh into Node2 and then into Node3, but once in
Node3 I can't ping the Internet or Node1, only Node2.

Five minutes later the routing tables will be updated, and Node 3 will have
Internet access just fine. Then five minutes later it drops again.

So the communication is always there, but the routing tables don't reflect
that. It seems like they are dropping routes (that might go down for a
moment (trees, interference, etc)) and then not picking them back up as soon
as they come up again. It also seems like there is something going on at
boot time which clarifies the routing tables; whenever I reboot the system
works perfectly.

This is causing Internet to come in and out in waves for nodes that have to
communicate via a third party node to get to the Internet source. The only
sure way to get communication is to reset a node. Something about rebooting
it causes it to communicate perfectly for some time.

There were similar things happening in 0.5.7 and 0.5.8, but I attributed
them to bad power and the cyclical rebooting feature.

Regards,

John Atkinson
WirelessGhana.com