[CUWiN-Dev] Re: QoS Implementations

John Atkinson john.atkinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 09:10:26 CST 2005

I have very little bandwitdth.  Right now 128/32 kbps.  I'd like to be able
to prevent a node from hogging all of it with a big download.  I would like
to assign each of the Internet Sharers an alloted amount of bandwidth, but
still allow it access to the full bandwidth when the network is not busy.

I use Hierarchical Token Buckets and Stochastic Fairness Queueing on a
debian proxy to achieve this with my wired lan, where I have a certain
amount of bandwidth allocated to each of the machines in the classroom and
the CUWin node.  So I can control how much bandwidth all of the users of the
wireless network, as a whole, have access to.  But I haven't figured out a
way to control the individual user, or nodes, on the wireless sub-network.

Right now I tell people that they can only hook one PC up to their node for
Internet access.  But I have no manageable way to monitor that remotely.
Ideally people would sign-on for a guaranteed share of bandwidth, and they
could do whatever they want with it.

At the moment all of my nodes are low-resource, so anything not burned onto
the image is lost at reboot.  Maybe it would be possible to burn individual
images for a few specified amounts of bandwidth.  That wouldn't be secure in
the long run, but it might bridge us until WiFiDog implements their QoS
goals.

Regards,

John

Wireless Ghana @ http://www.wirelessghana.com