[CUWiN-Dev] power+serial+ethernet over cat-5 ?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Sep 19 13:47:03 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 11:04:18AM -0500, Seth Price wrote:
> Coincidentally, someone just posted a question in the forums that
> would solve the root of this problem. Can CUWiN use a USB wifi
> device? If so, you could leave the node inside but run the USB onto
> the roof, and null the entire problem of needing to run RS-232 down
> from the roof.

There's no USB port on our existing nodes.  It wouldn't help this problem
if there was.

I should have explained why I want RS-232: it is the communications path
to the node of last resort.  It lets us get control back, even if the
operating system on the node has been lobotomized, because we can get
into the BIOS command-line and/or boot-loader command-line and change
the boot parameters.