[CUWiN-Dev] power+serial+ethernet over cat-5 ?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Sep 19 17:32:36 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 02:45:57PM -0700, Matt Westervelt wrote:
> I'm with you on the 30 seconds.   It's pretty bad...  But.
>
> 1. how often do you reboot.

Every time we upgrade the software.  I do that often enough that I
will notice.

> 2. is a 30 second wait more inconvenient than climbing the roof/tower
> and pulling the box down so you can plug in a serial.

It is safer and less expensive to wait 30 seconds.  However, nobody will
notice the safety and cost-savings like they will notice the the PITA of
a lengthy reboot.  I predict that a year from now, we will second-guess
the decision to PXE boot in the same way we second-guess the decision
*not* to PXE boot, today. :-)

I am leaning toward a 30-second (gulp) PXE boot, because it solves the
problem of losing control in the short term.  If PoE+RS-232 over Cat-5 can
be made to work inexpensively, it only helps us in the long-term solution,
since we have to buy new nodes, or retrofit all of our existing nodes,
to take advantage.

> 3.  If a dhcp server is present (but not offering PXE images), the boot
> process does not wait.
>
> 4. If the box does not have eth0 link (power only on ethernet) the boot
> process does not wait.

3 and 4 do not usually hold.

Dave