[CUWiN-Dev] Soekris net4801, PC Engines WRAP support

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Sep 21 23:14:11 CDT 2005

Hi Dave (et al.),

David Young wrote:
> I have just about got CUWiN's PC Engines WRAP board working right.
> I found and fixed three major obstacles to using the WRAP:
>
>         1 The WRAP is very particular about CompactFlash geometry
>           and partition tables, compared with the Soekris, so I had to
>           tweak things somewhat.  By certain standards, our settings
>           have been wrong all this time.
>
>         2 The CPU on the WRAP cannot be reset using the usual tricks
>           that work for the x86 architecture.  I took the CPU-specific
>           reset code from FreeBSD.
>
>         3 There was not support in NetBSD for the CPU's built-in watchdog
>           timer, so I wrote a driver for that.
>
> I have only tested on the WRAP.  I will test on the net4801 tomorrow.
> I'm going to check my changes into the NetBSD and CUWiN source
> repositories, soon.
>
> Dave

This is very big news.  If we find that we can get the software working on WRAP
boards, I would like to issue a press release to this effect.  I see this as a
way to encourage people to test our software on WRAP boards and report
bugs/patches -- which'll help bring new folks into the development process.

What do you all think?

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President