[CUWiN-Dev] WRAPs & Power Surge Protection:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Fri Sep 30 15:12:38 CDT 2005

David Young wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:31:15AM -0500, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>
>>FYI:  apparently, if the WRAP board receives more than 21 Volts to its DC
>>input is goes kaput.
>

> That also means that if we accidentally plug a WRAP into one of our
> existing power injectors, it blows up.  :-(
>
> WRAP may have a place on our network, and on others', but Soekris just
> makes a better board.  The WRAP Box is very nice, though.  I would like
> to see the Soekris in an enclosure like the WRAP Box.

I definitely agree -- I've been encouraging Metrix to look into this for quite
some time (most recently just a week or so ago).  I think Matt Westervelt is
lurking somewhere on this list -- I'd definitely suggest we keep pinging him on
this idea until they give it a try (even if just to shut us all up ;).

I've also learned a lot of interesting info while at the MuniWireless conference
in San Francisco.  Tropos used to use Soekris boards in their gear, but decided
to manufacture their own (and their own wireless card) to cut costs.  I've been
talking with the president and we're going to talk more about potential ways
that we can collaborate (in terms of possibly getting access to the Tropos
boards for Community Wireless groups and sharing non-proprietary info on the
Atheros programming).

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President