[CUWiN-Dev] Transmit power control / RSS measurement

Sven-Ola Tuecke sven-ola at gmx.de
Fri Apr 28 03:18:00 CDT 2006

Dave,

the majority of embedded devices in our mesh is running Broadcom wifi
(bcm4306 radio mostly wrt54g boxes). They run fine. But the backbone
hardware (that based on 4G-meshcubes, mips + 2*MiniPCI) has mostly PrismII.
We are looking for a good alternative for them:

PrismII: Lots of Station Firmwares versions, causes BSSID splits
  with most of them. Others do not run reliable or cause a lot of
  probs with chaotic txpwr setting.

Prism54: Not reliable (Hardmac). Hard to buy. Slow on long links
  and no distance setting for ACK-Timing changes.

BCM: No driver (no source, broadcom-silicon-backplane deps)
  OpenSource driver really not production quality in the moment.

Atheros+OldMadwifi: With our BSSID change included with one of
  the BSD devels on What-the-hack 2005 it is running OK. But the
  old MadWifi causes kernel freezes on weekly basis. Cube maintainer
  is tired of climbing the stairs up and the Cubes do not have a hardware
  watchdog.

Atheros+Madwifi-NG: Runs fine, until transmission stops in the middle
  of heavy load data transfers. No BSSID splits but seems not to be
  too reliable these days. Noticed that IBSS fixes and fiddled with own
  hacks. Does MadWifi-NG still have this "High 32 bit of TSF register
  not initialialized bug"?

Anyhow, thanks for your fast and informative answer.

Sven-Ola