[CUWiN-Dev] extra dhcpselect 'state' and wedge file format...

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Mon Aug 7 12:18:54 CDT 2006

On 8/1/06, dan blah <dan.blah at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey all (chase),
> working at tdv we ran into a issue with the node being plugged into a
> consumer router running dhcpd by default.  with dhcpselect running as
> it should, the node set the proper settings to be a gateway node
> creating a "black hole" (a dy coined phrase) in the network.  with
> cuwin getting ready to move into non technocrat households this poses
> a big problem.  dave and i were talking about making a third state for
> dhcpselect in which the node receives a dhcp lease from a dhcpd but
> does not immediately set the route as a permanent default.  the node
> would run a test to ensure the route is good.  if the route does not
> allow the node to get to the internet dhcpselect would would route
> packets back through the cuwin network.
>
> chase you wrote dhcpselect, would you be able to take a look at this?
> also, to get around this issue at tdv we need to use the wedge file.
> the wedge file is going to be used to set up a gateway node that has
> no dhcpd on the ethernet line.  chase i was hoping you could send me
> the syntax of that file?

I've used the wedge files before, unless something has changed they
just need to exist in /etc, i.e.

/etc/dhcpselect-wedge-dhcpd.sip0
will force sip0 to be a dhcp server (not a gateway)

/etc/dhcpselect-wedge-dhclient.sip0
will force sip0 to be a dhcp client (and act as a gateway)

I don't know if any of this has changed with the newer configuration
utilities (are those ready for prime time, is there a primer
somewhere?)

Bill

--
Bill Comisky