[CUWiN-Dev] static gateways

Tom Wiltzius tom at anotherwastedday.com
Mon Aug 28 13:41:22 CDT 2006

For the Homer nodes we need to set up a gateway node that has a
statically set IP address on the wired interface. Dan, Matt and I have
been trying to get a system like this working all morning. We are
using Rev. 4074 of the software because that's the only one we have
that works. Hence we can't make use of the new dhcpselect stuff.
Instead we have:

* Disabled dhcpselect in /etc/rc.conf.d/dhcpselect
* Set our wired-interface IP statically in /etc/ifconfig.wire.tmpl,
replacing the result of /sbin/ethip with our desired IP.
* Set our default route by adding "defaultroute=192.168.13.1" to the
bottom of /etc/rc.conf

These changes were all made in /permanent, of course.

Upon boot the node takes the alias we gave it in ifconfig.wire.tmpl,
and has the default route we set in rc.conf. Neither dhcpd or dhclient
is running. However, we run into two problems:

1) Another node on the testbed network we have will set its route to
the gateway node, as it should, but the gateway node can't seem to
route traffic out properly. We can't ping out from the non-gateway
node, and a traceroute gets to the gateway node then fails.

2) Both the gateway node and the other node lose their default routes
after a while, and they don't seem to get them back.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Tom