[CUWiN-Dev] Route Vis (visual node app)...

Seth Price seth at pricepages.org
Tue Feb 7 08:00:55 CST 2006

This is what I sent Andrew:

I remembered another reason why it will be difficult to pick up the
package from where I left off: I couldn't figure out how to compile
the config parsing files correctly, so I kind of did a hack job on
them. I'm not sure how much problem you will have getting them to
compile on your machine, but it isn't anything that a little Google
won't fix. (You may also want to look at the original files.)

I would suggest making good use of diff to figure out what has been
changes against the CVS files. If you have any questions, feel free
to ask. I left a few images in the archive that I'm sending so you
can see what the output looks like in the current state. They all
start in the middle and begin to separate themselves out. After a few
iterations, the green links *should* start getting shorter and the
red links longer. (With a bit more tweaking...)

First, though, make sure that the program lays out an appropriate
test mesh. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to tweak things,
only to discover that the mesh didn't look "right".

You could try adding generated metrics like signal strength in
addition to ETX. If we find that things work conclusively better with
those metrics, Dave mentioned that he could give us access to them in
the program.

If you get things working on the metric end, I'm also interested in
playing with a genetic algorithm to lay out the grid. I would guess
that a genetic algorithm would be most effective when laying out
thousands of nodes, so we don't need to worry about it now, though.

The files are at:
http://pricepages.org/temp/routeviz.zip

~Seth