[CUWiN-Dev] update: Mac OS X build, mystery branch, ports, friendly builders

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Feb 17 00:14:01 CST 2006

I finally got around to hacking on the Mac OS X build, and I ran a CF-card
build to completion.  I have to warn you that the fork(2) implementation
in Mac OS X is awfully slow, so building CUWiN under Mac OS X will be
much slower than building under Linux or NetBSD on the same hardware.
You will need some NetBSD mods that will be in my next snapshot.

My next snapshot will contain a new Atheros HAL, and some Atheros
driver patches that fix several bugs.

OJC is using the CUWiN build scripts for a NetBSD+wireless project we
are doing under contract; for that project, a co-worker (login: oz),
and I will produce insubstantial, but possibly useful patches on the
"wpa" branch.

I have developed some promising leads on documentation, developers, and
sample equipment for porting CUWiN to a couple of popular 802.11 "systems
on a chip."  CUWiN has the funding for one such port.  Both ports will
be open-source.  The CUWiN build system may sprout a "proof of concept"
cross-build for something exotic, like the Technologic Systems TS-7200
(runs the "NetBSD Toaster"), or 64-bit Sparc (teehee), months ahead
of the first port to an 802.11 SoC.

To better serve CUWiN's "clients," I have been toying with the idea
of an open-source "CUWiN Studio," a user-friendly interface (based
on Eclipse? the web?) that lets you pick a software release, set
build parameters (select target architecture, choose software modules,
create user accounts, set media type and size, pre-configure interfaces,
etc.) and launch builds.  Anybody looking for a project?

Some of CUWiN's "clients" have a need for a script (for a person or a
machine to follow) that prepares your Linux/*BSD/Mac OS X box to PXE-boot
Soekris boards.  If somebody will take the lead on this script, I will
make myself available to "interview" about PXE-booting Soekris boards.