[CUWiN-Dev] IIT VoIP lab - requests?

Paul Smith paul at cnt.org
Fri Feb 24 13:11:21 CST 2006

We've formed a relationship with IIT: they have a graduate-level VoIP lab
[1] at their Wheaton, IL campus, and the professor is gung-ho about wireless
and CNT. She's assigned three students this semester to exploring SIP calls
over a CUWiNware network. The strength of the lab is that they have a
comprehensive testing framework in place. They have access to equipment like
a Spirent box, which I know nothing about other than she says it is an VoIP
traffic load generator with an integrated call quality tester.

We spoke yesterday and decided to focus on two variables for testing: one is
varying TOS in the IP header to prioritize SIP protocol packets over say
HTTP, and the other is setting up a multi-hop network in the lab and seeing
what happens to a SIP session when a node goes down.

Would anyone like to see something specific or different with regard to
these two variables? This is an opportunity for some concentrated testing of
a CUWiNware network.

-Paul

[1]: http://www.itm.iit.edu/voip/overview.htm

--