[CUWiN-Dev] intro & network mapping

T dontac at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:16:04 CST 2006

I'm pretty sure I'm actually on this list now so I'm sending my intro again
below. So I've been poking around the network and I thought it might be
worth sharing what I've found so far. Under the assumption that all nodes
will have an IP of 10.0.A.B, I did various kinds of scans of this subnet to
see who I could find. Once I had a list of nodes (I found 8 at the time,
including my own), I ran traceroute on each of them to figure out how I was
connected to them and how long on average it took for each hop. The basic
network map looked like the following:

10.0.145.137 (me)
--10.0.10.176
----10.0.237.65
----10.0.237.108
----10.0.249.238
----10.0.237.100
------10.0.178.63
------10.0.186.29

Hope this makes sense, each "--" is a hop, so for me to get to 10.0.186.29 I
have to go through 10.0.10.176 and 10.0.237.100. This combined with the
latency at each hop could be a decent way of mapping the network, however
the fact that I only found 8 nodes might mean that I'm not "seeing" the
others in the mesh. I'm going to try some other kinds of scans and see if I
can find more nodes (nmap rocks :) Any input?

~tom

Hey all, just wanted to touch base and give a lil introduction. I'm Tom
Coleman, I was the guy on the floor at hack night. I'm a recent graduate of
U of I with a General Engineering degree. I'm currently developing the
technology behind a biotech startup of ours, using electrical signals from
the throat for voiceless communication, geared towards disabled people
unable to move or speak. If you're interested, check out the news clip at "
theaudeo.com". Anyways, I heard about cuwin from a friend of mine, Lynsee
Melchi, and was pretty excited about it. A few days ago I was able to get an
old emachines and set up a node for myself (just south of vine and
washington). Its been working great, and even though I'm a pretty busy guy I
still want to help in some way. While I really dig the free wireless
internet aspect of it, I think there's a huge as-of-yet untapped potential
in the community LAN side of it. I'm hoping to at least give you guys some
feedback on my experiences with this node and maybe throw some ideas out
there too.

Great work everybody and keep it up!
~Tom