[CUWiN-Dev] USB key with CUWiN?

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Thu Jan 19 23:26:13 CST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, David Young wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 05:33:23PM -0800, Chase Phillips wrote:
>> Has anyone here made a USB key with a bootable CUWiN image on it?  Any
>> tips/tricks for reproducing?
>
> I haven't tried it myself, but let me tell you how to get started, anyway.
> Use the scripts for creating a Soekris image, but use a slightly different
> kernel configuration (option -k; try boot-image/kernel-conf/cuw_pc with
> the 'config' line stolen from .../cuw_45x1) and an appropriate disk
> geometry (option -t or -T, I forget).
>
> Dave

If you want to be able use the upgrade script later you'll want to
uncomment this line in the kernel config:

options       INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels - X needs this

Otherwise installboot fails.  Pass '-c pc' to mkstaboot to change the boot
console, which defaults to 'com0,speed=19200' for flash builds.  BTW,
should this be changed in steps.d/mediaenv to 'com0kbd,speed=19200'?

I just went through a similar process to install on a hard disk.. actually
a virtual hard disk.  Rob Simmons (working in Lawndale) had the idea to
install on a VMWare virtual disk.  With the free VMWare player, CUWiN can
be run in a window on a laptop with the ethernet (wired) bridged.  So
(theoretically) you could run a stand alone CUWiN node and dhcp client
from the same laptop, a useful tool to have a the field.  However, I think
it would need CUWiN to use a USB wireless NIC, which might be a deal
breaker.. or at least another hoop to jump through.

Bill

--
Bill Comisky
bcomisky at pobox.com