[CUWiN-Dev] USB key with CUWiN?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Jan 24 17:31:39 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:26:13PM -0600, Bill Comisky wrote:
> If you want to be able use the upgrade script later you'll want to
> uncomment this line in the kernel config:
>
> options       INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels - X needs
> this
>
> Otherwise installboot fails.

That could be a bug in upgrade.  The filesystem installboot is running
on isn't mounted, is it?

> Pass '-c pc' to mkstaboot to change the boot
> console, which defaults to 'com0,speed=19200' for flash builds.  BTW,
> should this be changed in steps.d/mediaenv to 'com0kbd,speed=19200'?

We need to test such a change on both Soekris and WRAP boxen.

> I just went through a similar process to install on a hard disk.. actually
> a virtual hard disk.  Rob Simmons (working in Lawndale) had the idea to
> install on a VMWare virtual disk.  With the free VMWare player, CUWiN can
> be run in a window on a laptop with the ethernet (wired) bridged.  So
> (theoretically) you could run a stand alone CUWiN node and dhcp client
> from the same laptop, a useful tool to have a the field.  However, I think
> it would need CUWiN to use a USB wireless NIC, which might be a deal
> breaker.. or at least another hoop to jump through.

Cool.  I use qemu sometimes to test CD-ROMs.  Its BIOS is actually more
picky/standards-compliant than a laptop I used to test on.  Does VMware
expose USB devices to its virtual system?  Is any particular USB WNIC
necessary?