[CUWiN-Dev] IPv6, New Network and User

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Jan 31 11:53:07 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:35:06PM -0500, Jacob Smith wrote:
> First, I'd like to introduce myself; I'm from Cincinnati, OH and trying to
> figure out the best way to organize a local network.
>
> Any helpful tips on starting a project like this would be helpful or even
> just learning tips or recommended resources to be able to help in the
> development of this project.

A good place to start is the documentation on the website.  The OSI grant
proposal that Sascha and I wrote still contains a good overview of what
we are trying to accomplish, technically, and what kind of social impact
we hope the technology will make.

Of course, subscribing to this mailing list is a good way to keep
up-to-date.  The cu-wireless-commits mailing list, too, helps one keep
abreast of development.

The sources are available for download from our anonymous Subversion
repository, but they are falling out-of-date following a security
snafu....

> One question so far: has IPv6 been considered for use as the internal
> addressing scheme?  This is coming from a short discussion on the pitfalls
> of NAT in the list archives.

We already routing IPv6 on the wireless network, but no local ISP provides
"native" IPv6 connections to the Internet.

I would sure like for our routers to opportunistically set up 6to4 and
Teredo tunnels, so we can reach other IPv6 sites over the IPv4 Internet.
A number of pieces have to fall in place, first: our Internet-connected
nodes need to self-configure to act as either "native" IPv6, 6to4, or
Teredo gateways; we need to distribute the IPv6 prefixes throughout the
mesh; our routers may need to help end systems to pick the IPv6 source
addresses from the "right" prefix.