[CUWiN-Dev] Re: VoIP Test In Ghana

John Atkinson john.atkinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 03:04:03 CDT 2006

Brandon,

On 6/30/06, Brandon Bowersox <brandon at ojctech.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> This is wonderful!  A few questions:
> 1. Are you using SJPhone direct to SJPhone on the other end, or is
> there a server such as asterisk running in between (which could
> provide voicemail, etc)?

Yeah, SJphone to SJphone direct, but the server with voicemail sounds interesting, I'll look into it.

> 2. Will users dial each other directly by IP address?

Yeah, that's the way it works.  I don't want it to be like that, but I don't want traffic from VoIP using the already saturated Internet connection.  I heard of a way to hack Skype around to work on a corporate LAN, but I haven't tried anything.  I'm guessing that if we used something like asterisk somewhere on the mesh then IP would be translated into Names at a database there; so much more user friendly.  SJphone isn't horrible though, it has a phonebook which can equate IP's to Names, and it has some feature called "neighborhood" which tries to automatically detect other SJphone hosts nearby.

-John