[CUWiN-Dev] Question on CUWin uplink traffic shaping

Martin Sauter martin.sauter at cm-networks.de
Sun Jul 23 11:00:49 CDT 2006

Hello,

my name is Martin Sauter and I am a book author on wireless topics and
also an active blogger. I've recently posted an article
(http://mobilesociety.typepad.com/mobile_life/2006/07/no_wireless_kil.html
) on what's missing in the mobile landscape to make the wireless
Internet as successful as the fixed line Internet we know today.
Somebody pointed out your project to me as a response to the article.
She was quite right, the recent NSF grant to you seems to be exactly
what I thought was missing in the conclusion of my article.

Your project sounds quite fascinating to me and I took some time to
browse through your web pages. I have one technical question which you
might be able to answer based on your experience with meshed networks /
multiuser / single Internet access networks: Have you experienced
service degradation in the downlink direction (as seen on the
interconnection to the network) for some users of the system because of
other users heavily using the uplink (e.g. for VoIP or for uploading
pictures, large files, etc?) and thus slowing down TCP ACKs? If so, did
you address this problem in your software?

Thanks and best regards,
Martin