[CUWiN-Dev] Troublesome Bouncing Default Route

Rob Simmons robsimmons at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 16:01:21 CST 2006

I have noticed this problem a couple of times and have always fixed it by
just involved rebooting lots of things and hoping it would sort itself out,
but when I got a call this morning about it happening yet again, I figured I
would raise it here because it seems to be a specific and fairly reoccuring
problem.

The two nodes in question here - 10.0.233.27 and 10.0.241.164, are both
running cuwin 0.6 version 3787 (cnt subversion 3454). They have a
connection, but as should be seen from the routing tables, their "best"
connection to "most of the rest of the network" at this time is through
10.0.241.196. They would, on very rare occasions, connect to the rest of the
network through each other, but not commonly.

Here is the beginning of the routing table for each:

>From 10.0.233.27 (cuwin 3787, cnt 3454)

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu
Interface
default            169.254.241.164    UG1         0     1803      -  ath0
10/16              127.0.0.1          UGRS        0        0  33192  lo0
10.0.155.183       169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0
10.0.233.10        169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0
10.0.233.15        169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0
10.0.233.21        169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0

>From 10.0.241.164

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu
Interface
default            169.254.233.27     UG1         0    23080      -  ath0
10/16              127.0.0.1          UGRS        0        0  33192  lo0
10.0.155.183       169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0
10.0.233.10        169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0
10.0.233.15        169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0
10.0.233.21        169.254.241.196    UGH1        0        0      -  ath0

The default paths are pointing towards each other, and neither one can
access the outside internet or resolve domain names - though they can access
other places inside of the network just fine. This is not generally an easy
problem to fix, like I said it usually involves rebooting lots of things all
at once and hoping that the paths will reset themselves.

In general, there seems to be something going on in which the default route
does not follow trends - the "next hop" for the default route is not the
"next hop" towards the node that serves as the gateway, in other words -
this appears to happen sometimes even when the network is working fine, but
I thought it might be worth mentioning.

The whole network is, at this point, running CUWiN 3787, though parts of the
network are running CNT 3448 instead of CNT 3454 (both versions of cuwin
3787) - my understanding is that the difference between the cnt versions is
trivial, however.

Rob Simmons
Neighborhood Technology Resource Center
North Lawndale, Chicago