[CUWiN-Dev] dhcp leases

tom tom at anotherwastedday.com
Sun Mar 5 14:36:57 CST 2006

I went back to Mike Lehman's house. Things have improved slightly (if
inexplicably) there, and I've narrowed the problem with his node down to one
obvious thing (there might be something else going on with dhcpd, but I'm
not going to worry about it because that node needs to be a client anyway).
It isn't picking up DNS servers along with the rest of the dhcp lease. I
can't really figure out what's going on: /var/db/dhclient.leases is empty,
/etc/resolv.conf is empty. /mfs is 100% full all the time, so trying to
manually edit /etc/resolv.conf to contain some DNS servers (just to make
sure it all works with that) is impossible.

Is there any reason that dhclient would not take all the information in a
dhcp lease (I seem to recall no, because I had a similar problem with this
node last year where I *didn't* want it to take the DNS servers [it kept
getting the wrong ones] but that proved infeasible). Also, is the lack of
any entries in dhclient.leases a red flag? The sip0 interface has a local
address that's in line with those handed out by the dhcp server, and I can
even ping through to the Internet (IP-addresses only).

Lastly, is there some way to flush and renew the dhcp lease on an interface
(sip0 in this case) without using ifconfig up/down (I can't use ifconfig
down because then the connection drops and I can't bring it back up).

There's probably more useful diagnostic information to be found somewhere,
but I couldn't figure out what was going on and ran out of places to look.
Any ideas welcome.

Tom