[CUWiN-Dev] memory-hungry/starved nodes

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Mar 14 16:56:26 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 07:02:14AM -0600, tom wrote:
> Daniel and I went by Mike's memory-hungry node yesterday and, at Dave's
> advice, poked around to see what the problem was.
>
> The most troubling thing we found was, of all things, two rather large
> instances of ntpd running. Consider the following:

I didn't realize ntpd took so much memory!  Killing ntpd should give
you enough space to do an upgrade.  Does it?

The node reboots because of the "hello watchdog," which is one of our
guarantees of node "liveness."  You can stop it with '/etc/rc.d/hellowdog
stop'.  You can turn off the watchdog altogether with 'wdogctl -d',
but please don't do that if you cannot power-cycle the node if it wedges.