[CUWiN-Dev] Re: Problem w/ cuw_config

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Mar 22 15:11:17 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:55:57PM -0600, Rob Simmons wrote:
> There's something unusual going on with the cuw_config files that I don't
> think has been raised or addressed. I thought it might be a problem with our
> software, but it's also affecting vanilla CUWIN software builds. If the
> /etc/cuw_config and /permanent/etc/cuw_config files get edited, those edits
> get wiped out when the node restarts, leaving the file empty and the system
> running on the hard-coded software defaults. The configuration problem
> messes up the dhcp daemon, so that thel only way to remotely fix the node
> from the wired interface would be to set a static IP address.
>

> The same problem happens (though I did not test this on the vanilla cuwin
> image, just the CNT version) if you mount the root file system read/write
> and actually manually change the files with vi or just with cat. The files
> appear to be changed, but are wiped out. I have encountered the same problem
> through the web interface as well, but I didn't test that today, it seemed
> redundant because I think the web interface just calls the cuw_config script
> anyway if I remember correctly. I've attached some records showing what
> happens when I do this.

This is a well-known, long-outstanding problem.  As a
workaround, comment out the line 'mount -u -r /' in
trunk/src/boot-image/extras/sbin/cuw_config_backend (and in
/sbin/cuw_config_backend on "live" nodes).  I.e., this

opt_remount_root_readonly()
{
        mount -u -r /
}

becomes this:

opt_remount_root_readonly()
{
        #mount -u -r /
}

For safety, it is a good idea to do a graceful reboot with 'shutdown -r
now' after making a configuration change.  This could be added to the
cuw_config_backend script.

I am trying to get the underlying kernel bug fixed.