[CUWiN-Dev] Re: want to help: cuwin on wrt54g/embedded mips

Rob Janes janes.rob at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 09:56:40 CST 2006

David, thanks for the pointers.  This paragraph from the
"summer-of-code" doc/local file seems apropo:

> Ports
>
>         Mac OS X
>
>                 It's BSD, so it might not be *too* difficult to
>                 port net80211 and the *BSD wireless drivers.  Then
>                 we can run hslsd/etx "in the usual way." Lots of
>                 work.  Apple should support this development, since
>                 it makes *so* much sense.  Sick Sascha on 'em?

Hmmm, so a port to another flavour of BSD is not deemed "piece of cake"
but "not *too* difficult".

Is there any other information about the obsticals to porting?  What
unique features of bsd were used in hslsd/etx?  What was the rational
for choosing netbsd in the first place (as opposed to linux, macosx,
freebsd, etc, etc).

David Young wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 03:12:37AM -0500, Rob Janes wrote:
>

>>>svn co file:///var/svn/cuw
>>>

>>Is there a network version of this command?  Or how would you recommend
>>

>svn co http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/trunk/ cuw-trunk

most helpful, thank you.

>>Secondly, the developersguide also lists a bunch of commands to pull
>>from your (David Young) home directory.  Do I need those?
>>

>No.
>

>>WRT cuwin not on linux, perhaps someone can tell me what this is ...
>>

>>>[robj at localhost download]$ zcat cuwin-pxe.tgz | tar tvf -
>>>drwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2005-05-27 23:27:23 tftpboot/
>>>drwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2005-05-27 20:55:10 tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/
>>>-rwxrwxrwx root/root       106 2005-05-27 20:33:19
>>>tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/C0
>>>-rwxrwxrwx root/root     11304 2005-05-27 20:37:35 tftpboot/pxelinux.0
>>>-rwxrwxrwx root/root    779703 2005-05-27 18:17:15 tftpboot/vmlinuz
>>>-rwxrwxrwx root/root   8388608 2005-05-27 22:28:42 tftpboot/initrd.img
>>>-rw-r--r-- root/root      3434 2005-05-27 20:25:51 etc/inetd.conf
>>>-rwxr-xr-x root/root  64028672 2005-05-27 22:25:52 var/www/image
>>>-rw-r--r-- root/root      3317 2005-05-27 20:47:50 etc/dhcpd.conf
>>>

>>Looks like a linux kernel and while I can't pull up the refering page
>>now (cuwireless.net wonky), I'm pretty sure it was advertised as a cuwin
>>distro.
>>

>I believe that is for PXE booting a Metrix node so you can 'dd' a CUWiN
>image to it.  It is not a CUWiN product.  I believe it comes from the
>Lawrence Freenet.
>

>>The docs under the cuwin-0.6.0-main-src/src directory are a bit slim.
>>

>Yes, they are.

Well, if I could fill in the rest of that tight lipped sentence, it
would be to say that the svn checkout doc directory has a lot to wade
through.  So that's where the docs are!

>>It's hard to distinguish the mesh components from the others.
>>Interdependencies are not documented.  The bsd makefiles are not there.
>>

>You will have to make do.  The BSD make macros are documented in
>/usr/share/mk/bsd.README, which is installed on all NetBSD machines.

It would be helpful if you could count off the strictly cuwin mesh
components from other things.  Ie, a list of things that need to be
ported from things that already are ported.

For example, I would assume that quagga, thttpd, jpeg, libpng, gd,
boot-image are components that are either unnecessary or are already
ported to linux.

However it's not clear whether or not ans, athtools, clearsilver, flock,
hclient, heap, hitime, howl, ipschema, iswlan, netwdog, nodeconfig,
nsbridge, nsd, pathstate, pool, radix, test and viz would be part of a
porting effort.

If you or somebody could fill in the blanks here it would be helpful:

ans - dyonge: some utility belt tool?
arithmetic - cuwin: some crc thing?
athtools - stub directory, only a makefile
boot-image - creates cuwin boot image?
clearsilver - stub directories
cxn - cuwin: manages state (of what?) ?
electricfence - stub, memory leak checker
etx - cuwin: beacon?
evwrap - cuwin: wrapper for bsd event library
flock - cuwin: shell tool for locking on a file
gd - stub directory
hclient - cuwin: uses misc, ssrv, hsls, looks like a testing tool for
pinging
heap - cuwin: heap, guts in header, .c just a test
hitime - timer with event handler code
howl - stub directories - porchdog?  service advertising?
hsls - cuwin: routing daemon
ipschema - shell tools for fiddling with ip numbers
iswlan - shell tool
jpeg - stub
libhsls - cuwin: routing daemon
log - cuwin: logging
libpng - stub
misc - cuwin: misc functions
netwdog - shell script watchdog, reboot triggered by lack of default route
nodeconfig - cuwin: clearsilver plugin, cgi+static for configuring your AP
nsbridge - works with howl?  what's it do?
nsd - stub, what's it do?
pack - cuwin: has a README! for packing data
pathstate - what's it do?
pool - cuwin: memory/pool management
quagga - stub
radix - no licence: what's it do?
rib - cuwin: routing information block handlers?
ssrv - cuwin: library.  what's it do?
test - tests arithmetic, howl, misc, pack, pathstate, radix, rib, ssrv
thttpd - stub
viz - cuwin: cgi route visualizer
zrib - cuwin: library.  what's it do?

>>As an educated guess, to get hsls compiled I'll also need the log, misc
>>and mk directories.  Anything else?  Will I also need the ssrv beacon
>>thing?  I don't see any man pages on hslsd.  Is it a RTFS thing?
>>

>Look at the linker lines in libhsls/Makefile and hsls/Makefile.

I have then
arithmetic, cxn, electricfence, etx, evwrap, hsls, libhsls, log, misc,
pack, rib, ssrv, zrib.

But, what are event and util?  are they stock bsd libraries?

electricfence doesn't sound like something you've written.  It would be
helpful to identify from this list which you've written and would need
porting vs which you've imported and already likely has a port.

>There is a README file for hslsd.  It would be easy enough to convert
>it to a manual page using the mdoc macro set, which has a manual page
>on NetBSD, mdoc(7).

True.  But then that man page would then be more of a usage page than a
man page, lacking things like DESCRIPTION, NOTES, EXAMPLES, FILES,
CONFIGURATION, etc, etc.

>>Do you have a contact at telcordia?
>>

>Folks from Telcordia read this list.

hello?  hello?  any body there?