[CUWiN-Dev] Humanitarian Award

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Tue May 9 17:22:05 CDT 2006

Saw this on the GSLIS boards - think CU-Win would have a chance?
BTW, will we be having a hack night soon?

Wendy

Dear Community Leader:

The City of Champaign recognizes that our Champaign-Urbana Community has a =
very strong international emphasis with a large international student =
population and faculty presence, whose work, volunteer efforts, or =
recreation has taken them abroad. Therefore, through our Human Relations =
Commission, we have developed a program to recognize community residents =
for their international humanitarian service.

The purpose of the International Humanitarian Awards is:
- to honor individuals whose work has contributed significantly to =
international understanding, cooperation, friendship and development;
- to recognize the richness of Champaign County's international contributio=
ns, concerns and commitments in the following categories: agriculture, =
hospitality,=20
  humanitarian relief, human rights, research/education; and trade and =
business; to educate the public about the=20
  connections which exist between our local community and the global =
community.

The C-U International Humanitarian Awards Steering Committee volunteers =
representative of government, university and civic community leaders, was =
formed to develop award criteria for recipient selection and recognition. =
Nominations are now being sought and are due on Wednesday, August 30, =
2006. They should document how a candidate's extraordinary international =
service has improved the lives and contributed to the well-being of people =
in the following areas: agriculture, hospitality, humanitarian relief, =
human rights, research/education or trade and business. The award =
recipients will be recognized at a ceremony on Tuesday, October 18, 2006 =
at the Hilton Garden Inn, 1501 S. Neil Street, Champaign.

We invite you to consider nominating an individual or organization for the =
2006 C-U International Humanitarian Award. The eligibility and criteria =
for selection, nomination process, where to send nomination materials and =
other pertinent information relevant to the nomination is attached. The =
Community Relations Office will retain nominations for five years. The =
decision of the selection committee is final. Please submit completed =
nominations to:

Magali Browning
City of Champaign
Community Relations Office
102 N. Neil Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Please plan to attend the C-U International Humanitarian Awards Ceremony =
and help honor the award recipients. Thank you for your support of this =
important humanitarian effort.

Sincerely,

Steve Carter Jerry Schweighart
City Manager Mayor