[CUWiN-Dev] Multiple Internet Gateways and visible IP Addresses

Ben Racher bracher at iupui.edu
Wed May 10 16:18:18 CDT 2006

Hello,

I've been thinking about your project, having just discovered it via
google SOC and I'm curious as to your thoughts about how to solve the
problem of using multiple gateways to access the internet. On the ideas
page, you've suggested tunneling clients to the gateways to transfer
packets to and from the internet via NAT? I was curious about this
approach because won't this make all client's IP addresses on CUWiN
invisible to the internet?

So I've been thinking about how to overcome the difficulties of passing
data through the NAT gateways, while still making all clients on CUWiN
visible to the internet for typical protocols that might be hosted on
servers inside the CUWiN (web, ftp, etc) while avoiding the need for
complicated automated port forwarding.

My proposed solution was to tunnel packets that are outbound to the
internet, via the gateways, to a host that exists outside of the CUWiN,
that is also plays a part in assigning IP addresses inside of CUWiN. Is
this a possible solution? The negative side I suppose would be that
bandwidth to the internet will be determined by bandwidth available to
this host.

What ideas have you come up with? Is there a better way to do this? I
would love to hear your input, as I've been wracking my brain to try to
figure out a way to get the best of both worlds.

Maybe a daemon that handles automatic port-forwarding/tunneling is what
we need?

ben racher
bracher at iupui.edu