[CUWiN-Dev] Re: unlocked wifi/gsm phone?

John Atkinson john.atkinson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 17:29:25 CDT 2006

> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:20:56 -0500
> From: Brandon Bowersox <brandon at ojctech.com>
> Subject: [CUWiN-Dev] unlocked wifi/gsm phone?
> To: cu-wireless-dev at cuwireless.net
>
> According to this news story also Slashdotted, D-Link is releasing an
> unlocked dual-mode WiFi/GSM phone that runs linux in early 2007.
> Read more here:
>
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=6731
>
> Doesn't this mean that (a) we should port CUWiN-NetBSD to this
> device, and (b) then when I make a call to my friend Dave Young down
> the street, my call can go through the CUWiN network, but when I
> telephone my uncle in Pennsylvania my call goes through my cellular
> provider?
>
> Brandon

This will be a huge incentive for network expansion.  A lot of villager I
meet know how to use cell phones, but they don't because of the huge
expense.  Now they could anytime they were in range of an antenna.

So far using headsets w/mics has been cool, but it sort of defeats the whole
idea of "wireless."

--
Regards,

John Atkinson