[CUWiN-Dev] [Fwd: [CWN-Summit] 802.11b long-distance ACK timeout]

John Atkinson john.atkinson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 15:32:38 CDT 2006

Bob,

Atheros chipsets allow us edit the acktimeout and ctstimeout parameters to
accomodate long-distance links.  To change it on a CuWin router (NetBSD) you
would do something like:

# sysctl -w hw.ath0.acktimeout=203
# sysctl -w hw.ath0.ctstimeout=203

from a console.

These commands change the timeouts from their default of 48, on this Atheros
chip (D-Link DWLG520), to 203.

There is a whitepaper with more information published on the Wireless Ghana
website:
http://www.wirelessghana.com/node/7

The downside to increasing these timeouts is that clients of an access point
that are in closer proximity will notice a decrease in speed if/when packets
actually are dropped.

What specific equipment setups are you working with, wifi model numbers and
OS's?  I don't know if it is possible to do this on an off-the-shelf router;
I haven't tried, and they aren't really designed by the manufacturers with
people like us in mind.  Check out all of the options on any of the
interfaces you have into it, like a web configuration page.  Maybe you could
set up the client with a point to point link using CuWin.

--
Regards,

John Atkinson
Director - Wireless Ghana

Our wireless efforts in rural Appalachia now have a case where a user