[CUWiN-Dev] Re: IBSS Split aka BSSID wars?

Ronald in 't Velt Ronald.intVelt at tno.nl
Fri Feb 2 10:48:12 CST 2007

Hi David, all,

"David Young" <dyoung at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:20060427195740.GY6939 at che.ojctech.com...
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:52:35PM +0200, Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:
>> This is a "Hello" from Berlin / Germany :)
>>
>> To my understanding CUWiN is also using AdHoc/IBSS on the wireless side
>> of
>> your mesh. Do you have a found a good answer to cope with IBSS splits
>> situations? IBSS split should be experienced in every bigger mesh because
>> the underlying technology is the same. Basically this happens in mixed
>> hardware environments with a lot of different 802.11 protocol stack
>> implementations. Or is this unknown in BSD only environments? Sorry if
>> this
>> questions sounds dumb, but I can assure you that it isn't.
>
> I have not noticed serious problems with BSSID splits since we eliminated
> most of the Intersil Prism II adapters from our network.  Intersil,
> Lucent, and Cisco/Aironet adapters were notorious for causing splits.
>
> Some people have protected against splits by forcing a fixed BSSID on
> those cards that support it.
>
> In NetBSD, I fixed bugs in the 802.11 layer (net80211) and in the Atheros
> driver that would lead to splits.
>
> Dave

If I can briefly revive this old thread: Is there any more information on
those bugs you fixed? Can you recall / retrieve what changes you made and
when this was (roughly)? I am using the Madwifi (ng) driver for Atheros
chipsets under Linux. I believe that the net80211 MAC-layer in that driver
descends from the NetBSD one. I would like to check whether your fixes are
also part of Madwifi now.

Thanks,
Ronald in 't Velt