[CUWiN-Dev] Re: IBSS Split aka BSSID wars?

Sven-Ola Tücke sven-ola at gmx.de
Sat Feb 3 08:41:09 CST 2007

Hi,

as David wrote in that days. Some of us use a fixed bssid (we use
02:ca:ff:ee:ba:be). This works fine with current madwifi-ng using "iwconfig
ap xxx". I think that every ad-hoc net bigger than two dozen nodes need a
fixed bssid with one exception: you have the same hardware everywhere.
Anyhow, the ibss merge code in madwifi-ng does not look too clean for me.
Does not take into account the timedrift needed to execute driver code...

In Berlin, we have mixed atheros, bcm4306 and some other brands. bcm4306 is
used most. Fixing the bssid on that devices saved us from splits. I think,
madwifi still has some bad answers on PROBEREQs sent out by a lot of
braindead cards/drivers in order to "join" an IBSS. Anyhow, every new node
owner with funny hardware not experimencing good connectivity wil reboot that
thing until the fixed bssid is accepted. Otherwise he/she put that device
to /dev/null where it does not disturb the others ;-)

One PS. We had problems with madwifi-ng at least on MIPS. Occasionally frozen
tx interrupt. Simply stops sending. You send a packet through the HAL, but
the TX int expected a few msecs later does not show up. According to a bloke
who knows the HAL sources, this may be a hardware bug. Fixed with a hack. In
case you need the same:

http://olsrexperiment.de/sven-ola/nylon/packages/madwifi/files/

HTH
// Sven-Ola