[CUWiN-Dev] TDV Gateways

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Mar 13 15:50:41 CDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 03:37:21PM -0500, Matthew Isaacs wrote:

> I've resolved most of the problems with TDV and multiple gateways.  The
> issue that was causing HSLS and zebra to consume all of the cpu was a
> configuration issue.  All nodes that are were connected to directly to
> the internet do so through a linksys router.  The local subnets on all
> these routers were the same.  Since the routing advertises local
> ethernet IP addresses, the routing daemon saw multiple paths to the same
> network, which was not the case.  Reconfiguring the linksys gateways to
> be on different subnets resolved that routing issue.

We need to fix this problem in CUWiNware.  To start,

        * dhclient needs to ask either hslsd or zebra to add a subnet
          to an interface, instead of adding the subnet itself; otherwise,
          it risks being overridden by zebra.

That may fix 99% of the problems.  Perhaps we should go further,

        * hslsd should not advertise a route to any RFC1918
          address, except CUWiN's self-assigned addresses in 10/8

        * hslsd should not accept a route to any RFC1918
          address, except CUWiN's self-assigned addresses in 10/8

> Once this was resolved and I was bringing up more gateways, I noticed
> that nodes that can connect directly to multiple gateways would not set
> ANY gateway under some conditions.  Once all gateways were brought up,
> this disappeared, probably due to the presence of a significantly better
> gateway.

Maybe some 192.168.1/24 routes were lingering.

> UDP and ICMP traffic now traverses the network wonderfully.  TCP traffic
>  exhibits the problem of route changes breaking TCP sessions.

TCP sessions will break when the gateway changes.  Are sessions breaking
under other conditions, too?  They should not.