[Cu-wireless] Wireless talk on 2/11

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 30 21:46:11 CST 2002

	Department of Computer Science
	1304 West Springfield Avenue
	Urbana, Illinois 61801-2987   USA

	COMPUTER SCIENCE COLLOQUIUM
	 (and Graduate Seminar)

	  Connection Diversity :  wireless connectivity for appliances

	     Jean Tourrilhes
	     HP Laboratories
	     Palo Alto, CA

	February 11 (Monday), 2002 at 4:00 p.m.
	1320 Digital Computer Laboratory

BlueTooth, 802.11 : Local Wireless Connunication is currently a hot
topic. Everybody has it's own opinion and how it will change the way
live and how all those appliance will be magically connected.  Of
course, I have also my own point of view of what is the current state of
wireless and what are the challenges ahead. I will also tell you about
Connection Diversity, my pet project, which is supposed to improve the
user experience with this connectivity.

bio.
I was born in France and got an engineering diploma from "Ecole
Nationale Superieure des Telecommunication" in 94. From 96 to 99, I was
working for HP-Labs Bristol. This is were I did the Wireless Extensions
and Wireless LAN Howto for Linux and designed the Wireless LAN MAC
protocol called SWAP for the HomeRF.  From 99 to now, I've been working
for HP-Labs Palo Alto, in a project called CoolTown. I did the
Ir-Beacons, e-Squirt for Linux for CoolTown, and lot's of IrDA and
Wireless LAN work for Linux. Appart from that, my main research project
is Connection Diversity.