[Cu-wireless] meeting today

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Tue Jun 4 17:12:13 CDT 2002

I don't know what we could achieve at a meeting today. We have the
design down, I think. I suggest we postpone until next week, setting two
goals: Zach will post the design to the list. I will bring a stack of
autoconfigurable CDs suitable for a demo, or (more likely) buggy CDs
and a list of bugs.

Tonight I am concentrating on setting up my development environment
so that I can test and debug the autoconfigure code I have already
produced.

I suggest a few goals in addition to getting our software working:

  make an appointment with a radio researcher at the university to
   talk to us about radio propagation and antennas design

  find a student in EE to whom our project appeals and who would
   like to build antennas for a community network

  produce a hardware wish-list combining parts on the market and
   parts no one sells yet (like a power-adjustable 802.11 card with
   open-source firmware)

  organize one or two highly-visible "802.11 field days," where we
   set up ad hoc networks in and around Champaign-Urbana and run some
   engaging application; for guaranteed exposure, at least one field
   day should coincide with a local event such as the Sweetcorn Festival

Dave

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:22:14PM -0500, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> There is a wireless design meeting scheduled today for 8pm at my
> house. There is still the basement rock band to contend with. Should
> we move the meeting to OJC?
>
> I may be late or not show up wherever it is.
>
> I wonder if it might be a good time to reschedule and/or relocate both
> the software/hardware meeting and the design meeting. Maybe we don't
> need a weekly design meeting now that we're all pretty well agreed on
> the design (though I still need to document it). Maybe we should have
> our Tuesday meetings at a different venue. I was excited about going
> to 2 meetings every week when we planned it but I'm pretty burned out
> on that schedule now but I want to see us keep moving forward and not
> relying on Dave to do everything so there must be a happy medium.
>
> --
> Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/
> IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta!
>  Social Justice, Community, Nonviolence, Decentralization, Feminism,
>  Sustainability, Responsibility, Diversity, Democracy, Ecology

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933