[Cu-wireless] hardware/software implementation meeting

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Mon May 6 14:56:36 CDT 2002

Zach,

I will be there.

I have a CD-ROM booting. I have also begun a bare-bones database server.

The CD-ROM does not do the network bootstrapping we desire.  I suggest
we talk about the network bootstrap process for the CD-ROM. I think it
is going to work something like this:

  1) DHCP client gets its uplink IP number (.2 or greater), nameservers,
     database server, etc., and invokes network bootstrap script
  2) network bootstrap script sets gateway to .1, asks database server to
     change its MAC address(es) to a station ID/IP number
  3) network bootstrap script uses its station ID to write .conf files for
     the DHCP server and OSPF daemon.
  4) network bootstrap script starts DHCP server, OSPF daemon

At step 4, a DHCP client runs on at least one interface, and a DHCP
server runs on at least one interface; they may be running on some of
the same interfaces. I am not sure if a DHCP server will try to answer
its own DHCP client agent, but if it will, that will be a problem.

We need a heuristic to decide which interfaces to configure, and how to
configure them. I figure that things like that we can decide tonight.

Dave

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:53:25PM -0500, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> Theoretically we have a hardware/software implementation meeting this
> evening at 5pm at my house. Will anyone be there (especiall Dave) or
> should it be rescheduled?
>
> --
> Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/
> IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta!
>  Social Justice, Community, Nonviolence, Decentralization, Feminism,
>  Sustainability, Responsibility, Diversity, Democracy, Ecology

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933