[CWN-Summit] Wireless Power Limits

Bob Dixon dixon.8 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 9 08:15:11 CST 2010

Some interesting history regarding this.

We have installed community wireless systems in tiny towns in
southeast Ohio ("Appalachia").
Ohio State University and OARnet contributed the staff time, and the
Governor's Office of Appalachia provided grants for the equipment.
These are very rural areas, and the people who need to connect to the
wireless network are quite far apart.

Even though we put our central station on a high building, it is
difficult to reach some of these people. Some of them are willing to
put up a high directional antenna to get coverage, but most are not.
The power limitation severely limits the coverage of the network, for
no good reason.  There is NOTHING else anywhere around these areas
that could be interfered with.

We gave a presentation at one of the summit conferences, and were
surprised to find out that an FCC representative was there. He spoke
with us afterwards, expressing interest in our program., and inviting
us to give the presentation again to the FCC staff in Washington DC.
We went there are did that, and the FCC audience was very appreciative
and encouraging.  Then I brought up the question of power limits, and
asked if we could get a waiver to allow higher power for these
locations.  The policy people there were all for it. Then they called
in someone from the enforcement division, and he was quite negative.
He said there is a "standard procedure" for applying for a waiver, and
it requires detailed engineering field studies (with expensive
equipment that we don't have), and hiring a specialized attorney to
handle all the paperwork.  All that would cost far more then the whole
project.  And it can take years to get an answer.  So in practical
terms, the answer was NO, we could not get a waiver for higher power,
even though they agreed there was little chance of interfering with
anything.  Typically only huge corporations can get waivers.

So of course the regulations should be changed, to realistically take
into account rural areas, and to streamline or eliminate the
bureaucracy.

I am hopeful that the new unlicensed spectrum "white spaces" being
discussed may be a partial answer to this, but they are opposed by the
big telcos, as they could be bypassed.
But even if the white spaces become available for community networks,
they will not be used unless inexpensive equipment to use them becomes
available.

Bob