[CWN-Summit] Installing a community wireless system

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Thu Nov 18 09:59:25 CST 2010

On 11/18/2010 04:15 PM, ROBERT DIXON wrote:

> A local community here in central Ohio has received a grant to install a community wireless system. Now they are looking for somebody to design and install it.  They have asked me for suggestions.  Any info I could pass on to them would be appreciated.

Hi Bob,

Well, the folks here on this list have years of experience with running
community wireless networks. Probably the first point to remember is that
you need a community [1] ;-) to run the wireless community networks.

Apart from this, some intro courses/workshops about RF planning, 802.11* and
TCP/IP networking all pays off (note: I don't know what the know how level of
your partners in this project).

Next comes link and node planning.

The networks in Europe have some very good experience with open source mesh
networks (mixed ad-hoc / infrastructure mode): OLSR, BATMAN and the newcomer
Babel seem to be the protocols of choice, even though I heard people even
using RIP (couldn't believe it when I heard it).
Anyway, I think I don't have to explain anything regarding network setup.
However, city wide Wi-Fi networks are indeed a different beast than wired
networks.

In case you have any specific questions, please ask...
I still have some sample spreadsheet calculations lying around for planning
big networks in case you need something like this.

Best of luck,
Aaron.

[1] helping hands and people who want to be part of the network, people who
will buy their own HW and connect to the network and pass on the signal to
other nodes up along the way. C.f: the pico peering agreement.