[Dryerase] Eye on the INS

Alarm!Wires wires at the-alarm.com
Fri Aug 2 12:51:07 CDT 2002

Eye on the INS, July 26
A weekly forum to discuss the INS and immigration policy

Picnics and Bureaucrats

By Michelle Stewart
The Alarm! Newspaper Collective

A few weeks ago, I was stunned to hear about the 150-year-anniversary
celebration at San Quentin State Penitentiary. Just as I began to come
to terms with my frustration over that event, I was shocked again by a
story out of El Paso about the pending Paso al Norte Immigration Museum
being created by the University of Texas El Paso (UTEP) and the
Smithsonian. But how do the celebration of the anniversary of a
death-row prison and the creation of a borderlands museum relate to each
another?

My frustration about both of these items is that they rely on such an
overwhelming sense of denial. How does one decide to “celebrate” a
prison’s anniversary, go to events, eat cake, and go on tours of the
“public” areas? Especially considering that during these festivities
there are people locked up inside, serving time, possibly sitting on
death row. I realize that for some the bare bones of the matter is that
criminals are criminals, and they must serve their time. Well, I am not
the first to say it, but the actual fact of the matter is that the
criminal justice system is inherently flawed. Statistics in the US read
that one out of every three African American men under the age of thirty
has served or is serving time in jail; this is a statistic that demands
that we explore the fundamental flaws in the justice system and the
socio-economic conditions that allow for such statistics—not celebrate
the anniversary of a jail.

When I began reading about the Paso al Norte Immigration Museum, I was
initially excited. I thought a museum being built along the border in
the coming years would be really dynamic. However, as I read through the
supporting documentation, I became less than impressed and began to
recall my outrage at the San Quentin event. At an event last year Diana
Natalicio, the president of UTEP, told the story of how she came up with
the idea for the museum after reading a solicitation letter for the
Ellis Island Museum. “I was suddenly struck by the fact that there was
no place where immigration across the southern border was commemorated,
as immigration from Europe is celebrated—and honored—at Ellis Island.”
She was struck by the obvious and missed the complexity of the matter, a
fact that shows quite prominently in the planning stages of this museum.

The Paso al Norte Immigration Museum is being referred to as the Ellis
Island of the Southwest. I don’t know why. As an immigrant processing
center, Ellis Island is closed.  Its deeds are referred to in the past
tense. El Paso, on the other hand, is still a very active border. As for
Natalicio’s comment about the celebration of the southern border (and
its migrants), does she really believe there is a national celebration
occurring? Perhaps the UTEP president needs to read the headlines more
often to recognize the current rhetorical tone toward the southern
immigrant. To compare today’s Southern border to yesterday’s Ellis
Island is preposterous for numerous reasons.

Last year after the president of UTEP spoke at an event to announce the
project, the Smithsonian came forward with a rather ridiculous
statement: “... UTEP is currently coordinating a binational effort to
develop the museum, but ultimately, the project is envisioned as an
independent institution symbolizing the aspirations of all immigrants.”
How in the world can the Smithsonian think that this one museum can
summarize the aspirations of all immigrants—all of them? This is either
a case of absolute ignorance when it comes to the actual experiences of
many southern border crossers and other immigrants, or the Smithsonian
truly believes that what the US offers (insert some nationalist’s pride
item) creates a baseline experience for every single border crosser. I
could go on, at length, about how ridiculous that statement was,
however, with a little thought anyone can tear it apart.

My chief concern is the way in which ignorance will influence this new
project. Just as blind belief in the justice system allowed for people
to celebrate the anniversary of a prison, I fear this museum will allow
for people to position immigration issues as things of the past.

All of the information available about the Paso al Norte Immigration
Museum indicates it will be a museum dedicated to preserving local and
family history. The museum is currently drafting a feasibility study
while also beginning to solicit historical documents from locals. For
all intents and purposes, it seems that the stories of immigrants will
be told through a historical lens. What, then will be said about today’s
immigration policy? Will there be two wings: one for the past, and
another for the present? But most importantly, will there be a critique
of the INS?

Will there be a section called “La Migra Today?” The walls could be
filled with pictures of bodies lying in the desert, a small sign post
could state “Operation Gatekeeper: Death Toll 600 and rising...”.
Another area could have dramatic, mounted pictures along with a photo
essay to tell the story of families split apart. Maybe there could be an
enclosed interactive space to highlight the feel of an INS raid; there
could be another closed off area with an audio relay of deportation
hearings. Could there also be a dark room at the end of a hall, that no
one is allowed to enter or that people are chosen at random to be forced
to enter—which would be the detainment camp?

How do we build a historical, immigration museum in today’s immigration
environment? I fear this museum will open in the coming years without
unpacking contemporary immigration policy. The museum is also just a
short-distance drive from Ciudad Juarez, the site of one of the largest
serial killings in North America. The body count continues to rise,
while both the border and its industries are implicated in the crime.
But perhaps the deaths of nearly 300 women,  and the disappearance of
hundreds more, is not good for a museum’s image. Perhaps the installment
would be disturbing—the road to a maquiladora lined with grave markers
and women’s bodies.

I think the idea of a borderlands museum is amazing. However, it would
require guts and wisdom to critique the southern border and immigration
policy.

In the next five to ten years, the Paso al Norte Immigration Museum will
open its doors. Hopefully, at that point the vision of these planners
(today) will not influence the entire project. For I fear people will
sit on the lawn of this museum and have a picnic, thinking how silly the
INS used to be and how quaint the southern border crosser was in the
1890s. This would be no less disturbing than the people who packed cake
into their mouths while “touring” San Quentin just a few weekends ago.

----
Beginning next week this column will shared between two columnists:
Carlos Arment and Michelle Stewart. Thematically the column will remain
the same; however, the voice of the commentary will rotate weekly.
Carlos will be wrting in Spanish, and I will continue writing in
English. The intention of this column from the get-go was to provide a
means to instigate dialogue on issues surrounding immigration and the
INS. I am excited to have Carlos join me in this forum and hope you find
our different perspectives and voices to be thought-provoking. Please
remember your comments are welcomed at michelle at the-alarm.com.

----
All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where noted
otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in whole
or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or by
government agencies.

-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office