[Dryerase] Alarm!--Youth column

Alarm!Wires wires at the-alarm.com
Fri Aug 2 12:59:26 CDT 2002

Youth column--July 26

The Politics of Fat Discrimination

By Anita O’Shea
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor

Gurl is a gutteral and raw growl of who I am, to how I see myself. If I
must be defined it will be on my own terms, WITH my own terms.–Janice
Klux, Cutlass #4

Growing up as a fat gurl, I was made acutely aware of fat-phobia.  Fear
and hatred of fat is something that is deeply ingrained in all of us in
the US.   Ironically, in a country with rampant over-consumption there
is a heavy pressure on everyone to be “fit” and thin. However, being
thin does not always equal being healthy. Where survival of the fittest
is most often the survival of the richest, being a healthy human being
is not a priority in the U.S.   Fitting into this society involves
abandoning self-respect while the media, the medical industry and the
diet industry feed off of our insecurities.

Evidence shows that dieting, diet pills, plastic surgery, and eating
disorders are less healthy than just being fat. Eating disorders such as
anorexia nervosa and bulimia are indications that we live in a society
where our size takes precedent over our physical or mental stability and
health. Diet pills (such as Fen/Phen) are known to have serious and
potentially deadly side effects. Weight-loss surgery often doesn’t work.
Whatever weight one may have lost is gained back and side effects—such
as dangerous vitamin deficiencies—can last a lifetime.

According to the “International Journal of Obesity”, ninety-five percent
of people who lose weight on diets gain back every pound within three
years. This obviously contributes to serious self-esteem problems, as we
are all expected to have the willpower to change our weight, even though
the way we look and our weight is often determined at birth.

GROWING UP FAT
Growing up surrounded by negative images of fat people, needless to say
I was a rather insecure adolescent. I’m pretty used to getting made fun
of for being fat, for not shaving hair, for the way I dress and also for
being an all-around queer/gender-deviant, for being politically active,
for being a radical. Neither being queer nor being fat were things I
could choose.   I don’t even think that I have a real choice when it
comes to being an activist. To me there is no option but to fight back;
the discrimination of fat people, of queer people, of youth is directly
tied to my own experience of oppression. Furthermore, the oppression of
people of color, of the poor and working class, of disabled people and
of my elders are all directly linked to fat phobia, to sexism,
heterosexism and age-ism and is ultimately rooted in a for-profit system.

FAT AND FEMINISM:
The fact that I am a feminist and also a female-born person, has
contributed the most to my experience of taunting and discrimination. As
much crap as I got and still get for being a feminist—for being too
loud, too expressive, for taking up too much space —it is feminism that
has directly led me to an understanding of all these issues and of the
connections between them. The third wave of feminism, from the early
90’s on, especially deals with issues of body image. I was fortunate
enough to get my hands on some literature (like Body Outlaw) that
illuminated what eating disorders are and how they stem from a
ridiculous standard we have as to what beauty should be.

Eating disorders affect everyone, but beauty standards are tied to the
broader exploitation of women and gurls.

THE MEDIA, WOMEN, AND FEMINIST SOLIDARITY
The media tells us what we should look like everyday.   TV shows and
advertisements portray women and men as skinny, rich and therefore happy
people. Commercials for diet pills, food, drinks and exercise machines
are fed to us constantly. These media images also put pressure on us all
to conform to socially constructed gender roles. It is often the youth,
and very young women who are targeted by the media. Gurls are becoming
self-conscious about body image at younger and younger ages. By creating
unattainable standards for what women’s bodies should look like, women
and youth are kept constantly occupied with their body image and their
own self-doubt.

Women become obsessed with making themselves fit into different
standards of beauty and seldom question where these standards come from.
It keeps women from questioning a sexist society and also from
organizing and finding their power and solidarity with other women.

Unfortunately, being a feminist and speaking out against fat-phobia does
not always guarantee being well received by other feminists. I’ve
brought up size-ism as a serious issue in some of my classes at UCSC and
it’s difficult for me when I feel like I’m not taken seriously or when
the discussion of fat-hatred is not pursued. A fellow fat activist
Natalie Boero said the discussion of fat-phobia is not just “some
bourgeois feminist distraction.” There are connections between fat
phobia/size-ism and other forms of oppression like sexism, racism,
heterosexism, gender-phobia, ableism and ageism.

All the different forms of oppression come together in a variety of
ways. To build an effective movement against fat-phobia, the leaders of
the movement need to be the ones who understand the most about the
intersections of oppression. Racism compounds fat discrimination on many
levels. Women of color who are fat, or any size, will also face the
added burden of racism when they are on the job, getting paid, looking
for housing, seeing media images, being treated by health care
providers, etc.

The most militant leaders, the least likely to sell out, are those “on
the bottom”: women, especially women of color, lesbians, youth, and
disabled women. As a fat white person, I feel the movement against
fat-discrimination needs to form coalitions with those fighting other
forms of oppression. Fighting against fat-phobia ALONE is not going to
truly change our circumstances as fat people. We need to fight to change
a system that produces and condones discrimination of all types.

CAPITALISM AND FAT-PHOBIA:
Under capitalism, we are made to feel that we constantly need to attain
something more, to get more money, status, and power. Money determines
our success. We need the best products to be happy and we need to
continue buying to be content. If we can’t afford these products we are
made to feel inferior. Capitalism is the source of fat-hatred and all
the self-loathing and insecurities that manifest as eating disorders,
yo-yo dieting, plastic surgery and taking diet pills.

The media tells us to keep buying products we don’t need, which keeps
the consumerist machine moving. As Nomy Lamm says in the book Body
Outlaw (edited by Ophira Edut), “The diet industry makes over $30
billion a year relying on your fear and hatred of fat. They don’t care
about your health and happiness, they care about your money.” According
to NAAFA, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance, the
numbers now are more like $50 billion.

FAT ACTIVISM
As a fat, feminist, young, gender-queer, radical, dyke, freak, I have
committed myself to being an activist, and to fighting all forms of
oppression. The economy of capitalism functions by how well it can
divide and conquer.   It assures that people in communities and
movements are fighting so much amongst themselves that they won’t work
to retaliate against the lack of jobs, healthcare, childcare and
welfare. That’s why it is essential that we all realize our common
struggle and understand the diverse and flabulous differences we all
have.

----
Anita O’Shea is a member of Radical Women, a UCSC student, queer youth
organizer and a DJ on Free Radio Santa Cruz. You can contact her at:
rwbayarea at yahoo.com. Or for other resources go to: www.fatso.com,
www.naafa.com , or www.adiosbarbie.com.

All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where noted
otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in whole
or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or by
government agencies.

-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office