[Dryerase] Allegations of racial profiling, brutality against APD

Asheville Global Report editors at agrnews.org
Thu Aug 8 15:18:39 CDT 2002

Allegations of racial profiling, brutality against APD

By Shawn Gaynor

Asheville, North Carolina, Aug. 5 (AGR)— Two African-American Asheville
residents, Khalid Saadiq and Ismael Hassan, both 31 years old, are voicing
allegations of police brutality and racial profiling over an incident on
the night of Sunday, July 21.
The two say Hassan was beaten by two white Asheville police officers, and a
videotape of the incident supports their claim.  Saadiq is a former
Asheville police officer and Hassan is a current youth corrections officer.
These allegations come at a time of heightened national awareness of police
brutality due to the recent events in Inglewood, California and Oklahoma City.
According to Mr. Hassan the two friends were returning home from their
place of worship, along with his 5-year-old son Elijah.  Upon arriving at
Hassan’s home on Blanton St., an Asheville Police Department (APD) cruiser
pulled up in front of the house and turned on its lights.  According to
Saadiq, by this time the three were on the front lawn.
Saadiq said the officers told them to get back in the car, approaching the
two men on the lawn.  Saadiq began asking for what reason they are been
detained, and at this point officer Breneman grabbed him.
“I told him that I did this [police work] for seven years, that he didn’t
know what he was doing. I told him to take his hands off of me, that I was
not resisting [arrest], and that’s when he dropped his hands, turned me
around and handcuffed me.” said Saadiq.
Witnessing Saadiq’s arrest, Hassan, wearing his Swannanoa Youth Corrections
Officer uniform, approached Breneman.
“I dropped my son off at the porch and told him to ring the doorbell.  Then
I walked back up in a calm manner and asked ‘what’s up, what’s the deal,’
and that’s when he [officer Maltby] pepper-sprayed me twice,” said Hassan.
“From there I turned around with my back to the officers and squatted
down.  Maltby ordered me to go prone, and I did.  He started to bring my
arm back to cuff me and he twisted it the wrong way.  I say ‘you’re
breaking my arm’ and he started to beat me.”  Breneman, who had just
finished loading up Khalid into the car returned and joined in, Hassan said.
A neighbor from across the street, alerted by the police lights, grabbed
his camera and began to videotape.
The tape begins as Breneman is closing the door of the car with Saadiq in
the cruiser.  All appears calm.  Then, without any discernible verbal
orders on the part of the officer, or verbal resistance from Hassan, a
physical confrontation can be heard breaking out in the yard.  Several
blows can be heard on the videotape.
“You stop hitting him! You stop hitting him,” pleads Hassan’s sobbing
mother, rushing onto the lawn.
As the camera comes across the street and gains a clear view of Hassan’s
lawn, both Breneman and Maltby can be seen on top of Hassan, who is prone
on his stomach.  Maltby knees Hassan in the back, and strikes him.
“I’m not resisting arrest,” says Hassan, “this is my lawn.”
Then Hassan gives his hands to Maltby to be cuffed.
The evidence of the beating can be seen on the back of Hassan’s youth
corrections uniform shirt: knuckle marks in blood.
“They hit me repeatedly with quick punches to the head and back, Maltby
kneed me in the back,” Hassan said.  “When they were hitting me Breneman
cut his hand.”
On the tape, Breneman can be seen coddling his injured hands as he gets up
off the now cuffed Hassan.
“You don’t hit him any more.  He’s in cuffs, don’t you hit him anymore,”
says Hassan’s brother Isaac, who had also come out onto the lawn.
Then for the first time Maltby calls in the incident
as a traffic stop.
Other officers arrive and officer Eberthart opens the back door to the
cruiser after recognizing Saadiq, his former colleague, in the back seat.
“‘What are you doing in here,’ he asks me.  That’s exactly what I want to
know,” recalled Saadiq.
The officers huddle, and begin treating Hassan for pepper spray.  Hassan is
then taken from the site to the hospital, examined, and then taken to the
county jail where he and Saadiq are booked.
Why the two were initially stopped by police is still a matter of
disagreement.  On Hassan’s arrest record he is charged with being stopped
for running a red light on Coxe Ave.
“I never ran a red light,” Hassan said. “He claims that we ran a light on
Coxe but we never came that route.”
Both men assert they were stopped only because of the color of their skin.
“They could have simply avoided this by calling in our tag, or they just
could have answered the question when we asked,” said Saadiq.  “We asked
them ‘why do you want us to get back in the car. We haven’t done anything
wrong.’  They could have said we want you to get back in the car because of
whatever.  It’s that simple — if they had a reason.  They didn’t have a
reason, that’s why they didn’t say anything.  In my estimation, they see
two black faces in a halfway decent-looking car with rims and they figure
we’re drug dealers or whatever and they’re gonna make a quick name for
themselves by busting us.  If they violate rules and go against procedure,
and violate laws, it’s OK because we’re two ‘niggers’ and who’s gonna
believe us over two white police officers, and that’s what took place.”
“Don’t get me wrong,” Saadiq continued, “there are a lot of good officers
out there.  There are a lot of guys who are professional
 but then you have
those who think you’re nothing, and ‘I’ll do what the hell I want to do
because I’m the police and I can’.”
Saadiq said that because of a recent change in Asheville Police Department
policy in regards to officer training, both officers Maltby and Beneman
were relatively inexperienced.  It was previously required that an officer
have three years minimum service to train a rookie officer.  That limit has
been reduced to one year of service, leaving rookies to train rookies,
Saadiq said.
Asheville Police Chief Will Annarino said an internal investigation of the
incident is being conducted. While the investigation is pending, Annarino
said he would not answer any questions.
Hassan has been charged with running a red light, improper right turn,
disorderly conduct, assaulting a government official, and resisting
arrest.  Saadiq is facing a single charge of resisting a public officer, a
misdemeanor.
They are due to appear in court on Aug. 19.  Both men say they have no
previous criminal record.
The two men have begun circulating a petition demanding their charges be
dropped and the APD reformed.