[Dryerase] Voices 44: 5 December 2002

Dania Rajendra nyvoices at indypress.org
Thu Dec 5 12:24:11 CST 2002

Dear Dry-Erase folks,

Here is Voices 44. For full content visit our site. To reprint a single
article, contact me or Ilana Miller at the info below to arrange the
rights, or contact the paper directly. (It's usually free, dependent on
the source paper.)

Rights are granted to reprint the edition as a whole. We encourage
people to report on the the content and provide links.

All the best,
Dania.

PS. I'm on vacation 12/4-1/1. Happy, peaceful holidays! Ilana Miller
will coordinate Voices in my absence, feel free to contact her while I'm
gone.

This Week's  <http://www.indypressny.org> Voices That Must Be Heard
By IPA-New York, a sponsored project of the Independent Press
Association
Edition 44: 5 December 2002.

NEWS ITEMS:

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article487> Deaths of two Indian
subway workers in two days shocks community in New York by George
Joseph, India Abroad, 6 December 2002. English language.
According to union officials, the deaths of two subway workers could
have been prevented had the MTA assigned flag workers to alert oncoming
trains. Both Indian men had families in the U.S., who bid them farewell
at funerals attended by hundreds of people. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=487>

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article488> Bushwick students
buck military by John Tarleton, The Indypendent, 1 December 2002.
English language.
The much-touted No Child Left Behind Act contains a little-known
provision that allows military recruiters to get the inside scoop on
high school students. Some students are making their response to these
aggressive campaigns very clear: "Bring college recruiters, not military
recruiters." MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=488>

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article489> Garifunas: One of
ours by Manuel Jaime, Hoy, 15 November 2002. Translated from Spanish by
Hannah Emmerich.
If you pay close attention while walking down the streets of the South
Bronx, you may notice a different type of Central American immigrant-the
Garifuna. Though the Garifuna are a people of African descent, they are
considered Latinos because they take the nationality of their country of
birth and, for the most part, speak Spanish. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=489>

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article490> A constantly
evolving identity by Keren Lentschner, France-Amerique, 23 November
2002. Translated from French by David Ronis.
For over roughly half a century, Haitians have fled to America to escape
the dictatorship and misery of their homeland. The still-young Haitian
community in the United States, divided over its attachment to its
homeland and ambivalent about the model of American life, continues to
search for an identity. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=490>

BRIEFS:
 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article491> Bay Ridge Muslims
reach out to the 68th Precinct, Aramica, 25 November 2002. English
language.

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article492> When will we stop
worshipping at the feet of capital? by Oriya Maqbool Khan, The Watan
America, 3 November 2002. Translated from Urdu by Rehan Ansari.

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article493> Kukmin and Nara Bank
merger discussed, Sisa News, 29 November 2002. Translated from Korean by
Sun-Yong Reinish.

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article494> A Muslim sues
Marriott International Inc., for discrimination, Al-Manassah
Al-Arabeyah, 15 November 2002. Translated from Arabic by Amir Jalal.

EDITORIALS:

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article495> The protests that
fizzled, Haitian Times, 3 December 2002. English language.
While we support the claim that Haitians are treated unfairly, we
believe that it is time for Haitians to stop protesting in the streets
and take their complaints to the hallways of state capitals and the
White House-places where they can bring about some real changes. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=495>

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article496> The changing nature
of American society and ours by Azeem M. Mian, Pakistan Post, 4 December
2002. Translated from Urdu by Rehan Ansari.
The death of Aimal Kansi marks the first execution of a Pakistani on
American soil. Many Pakistanis, though horrified by Kansi's crime, are
uncomfortable with the aftermath--yet the Pakistani community has
remained silent on the issue. We as a community must give up our silent
fears and our disconnectedness. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=496>

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article497> The West Indians and
their dollar vans deserve better treatment in Queens by Tony Best, New
York Carib News, 3 December 2002. English language.
Some influential people in New York City see the dollar vans, a
predominately West Indian-owned business, as a threat to regular bus
service. As a result, dollar van operators have been heavily ticketed by
police in an effort to force them out of business. It's time that
unions, and their supporters on city council, face the reality of the
legitimate need for this service. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=497>

 <http://www.indypressny.org/index.php3#Article498> Our sorrow, Russian
Forward, 28 November 2002. Translated from Russian by Liz Vladeck.
Among family and friends Lyudochka was always the leader. Wherever we
were, whatever we were doing, if Lyudochka arrived, everything became
warmer and happier, and any sorrows or bad moods disappeared. Our hearts
ache unbearably to think that this will never be the case again. MORE.
<http://www.indypressny.org/article.php3?ArticleID=498>

Dania Rajendra

Editor, Voices That Must Be Heard

Independent Press Association - New York

www.indypressny.org * 212/279-1442 * 143 West 29th St., 901, New York,
NY 10001