[Dryerase] The Alarm--Pacific Agoraphobia

Alarm!Wires wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Jul 11 22:14:45 CDT 2002

This piece is from one of our loyal contributors.  A fabulous fellow
with a tendency toward high-falutin language.  We've forced him to tone
it down for us, with mixed success.  Manuel is a very smart writer and
rhetoritician.  He generally approaches problems of international
significance.  This is one exception where his commentary is based on
local events.  You may still find it interesting

Pacific Agoraphobia
By Manuel Schwab
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor
5-12-02
Agoraphobia, which is the clinical term for the fear of open spaces, is
derived from the Greek words “agora” and “phobia.” The Agora was a large
public square at the center of Athens. It was open to the Athenian
citizen class, although only about 5 to 10 percent of the population of
Athens could afford to live a leisurely life that included hours spent
debating and talking in the Agora. As opposed to the theater—in which
the distinction between spectators and orators was clearly marked—the
Agora was the center of participatory political discussion in Athens, a
place in which discourse was fragmentary rather than dominated by a
single citizen.
In modern Greek, the meaning of “agora” has been altered. “Agora” now
refers not to a public forum but to a marketplace. Nevertheless,
“agoraphobia” still carries the connotation of a fear of public
engagement: a phobia of putting oneself at stake in front of one’s
fellow citizens.
If the public documents about the current debate on the use of downtown
space are any indication, it would serve us at this time to reflect on
the shifting definition of “agora.” In response to a series of
“incidents” that are perceived as threats to the placid face of our
beloved Pacific Avenue—a shooting, a stabbing and agressive panhandling—
the Santa Cruz City Council has held public forums and formed a special
committee on downtown issues. Close on the heels of this chorus of
concern, the July 3–10 edition of Metro Santa Cruz treated Santa
Cruzians to “The Reality Check Issue,” in which it attempted to “put
some overdue perspective on the controversy over safety in downtown
Santa Cruz.”
The institutional and media responses from the community demonstrated
the heartening fact that Santa Cruz is actually concerned about its
public space. But the terms of the debate led to the unavoidable
observation that we cannot, at least as far as the dominant perspectives
of our community are concerned, imagine the difference between civic
spaces and commercial districts. What becomes clear in both the framing
of the Council Committee’s recommendations, and the response of the
Metro article—which relies heavily on community testimony—is that the
Santa Cruz community works from extremely narrow assumptions about what
a downtown should be, about whom it serves, and what constitutes the
good health of a public space. What was once the politically heated
public space, perfectly suited for the exchange of debate, has become
marketplace, suited only for the exchange of goods and services. Yet
even with this devolution of public space into the relative safety of
rule—bound economics, we in Santa Cruz still retreat from any trace of
the old political friction once associated with the Agora.
The Downtown Issues Committee, for its part, is so split in its
recommendations that it is difficult to understand where they would have
us go with downtown. One minute they want the City Council to take a
clear position regarding “anti-social behavior.” But in the same
statement they re-affirm their commitment to “protecting public space.”
These commitments may not at first seem at odds, until we realize that
“anti-social behavior” has come to include any form of friction,
encompassing many activities that were once an integral part of “public
space.” “Public space,” in turn, has become emaciated, left with nothing
to flourish around but money transactions, so that merchant interests
are the only ones that count. Not recognizing that these developments
have transformed the defense of the space now considered public into an
attack on the social sphere in all of its fertile messiness, the council
is proposing to take measures that work in the exact opposite direction
they intend
Sarah Phelan’s article in the Metro illustrates the tension between the
desire to regulate downtown and to still allow the space to be genuinely
public. In the article we find the County Supervisor telling us in no
uncertain terms that fears about downtown safety are generated and
defined by the commercial interests in downtown. “Usually the merchants
plan a campaign [to crack down on downtown problems] just before
Thanksgiving,” Mardi Wormhoudt tells Phelan, “but this year it’s
earlier, maybe because of the economic downturn…”
Perhaps, but if so the economic downturn clearly has the business sector
peculiarly worried. Phelan claims she sees “no signs of Armageddon,” and
while I agree, it seems clear that signs of a new brink in the battle
between private and public space is at hand. On the one side, we have
the usual fare of self-indulgent overstatements by those who frequent
downtown and clearly have a lot to gain by painting themselves as the
targets of excessive oppression. Most glaring among these is Estéban
Fox, who seems to think that getting a ticket for sitting on a planter
(yeah, we all know how ridiculous that is) puts us one step closer to
building a “20-foot-high wall around downtown…and a military takeover of
downtown.”  This claim seems excessive, especially in light of
developments in Palestine and Israel, where citizens have every tangible
reason to fear draconian governments.
On the other hand, there are legitimate reasons to suspect the
merchants’ new campaign.  New-Corp-on-the-block Borders has the audacity
to publicly admit “we’re considering installing an ATM that would limit
loitering [around the Borders store] to 50 feet.” Reality check: with
laws on the books like the one that would provide Borders with a 50 foot
buffer for its ATM, town ordinances already fall clearly on the side of
the merchants. No matter how self indulgent the “gypsy kids” on the
streets may get, there is a higher power indulging the commercial
interests.
This indulgence becomes even more clear when we look at the remaining
recommendations of the Downtown Issues Committee. While they include a
few more gestures like the promise to protect public space (the hiring
of a Downtown Social Worker, for instance), the committee’s
recommendations, aimed ostensibly at restoring a downtown “out of
balance,” bend over backwards to accommodate the merchants who feel so
deeply threatened.
Take a close look and you will recognize that the committee’s
recommendations for Ordinance Modifications—made under the guise of
simplifying the understanding and enforcement of the present ordinances
on soliciting and sitting down on sidewalks—and you see that they are
actually engineered to clear the mall of any such activity by
“undesirables.” “The proposed adjustment is to make the distance for all
of the above situations 14 feet.” Apparently, Borders will not have to
bother with the 50 foot buffer around their store—by my estimation, a 14
foot distance from storefronts puts panhandling “gypsy kids” in the
street for almost the entire length of the Mall.
The threat that these “gypsy kids” pose, as Glenn Rogers informs us in
Phelan’s collection of interviews, is not that they are dangerous.
Rather, Rogers informs us that he tends to avoid “walking along Pacific
Avenue because I don’t want to get hit up for money all the time.” The
irony, of course, is that extracting money from customers is precisely
what every mall is engineered to do. The entire shopping district is a
place where people go to be solicited for their money in exchange for
one commodity or another.
The fact that this economic exchange is an acceptable replacement for
the democratic confrontations of the past is symptomatic of the time in
which we seem no longer to have a social sphere, but an economy instead.
In fact, as Greg Kindig rightly points out later on in the “Nuz” section
of the Metro the entire list of downtown issues “reads like a list of
symptoms.” But nobody seems to be understanding the disease. Focusing
only on symptoms—from the disruptive presence of panhandlers to
hacky-sack projectiles—amounts to establishing scapegoat issues to avoid
the fact that our public engagement is bankrupt. Downtown’s status as a
shopping/public district in which it seems that the stores themselves
are the only citizens who ultimately have a right to occupy downtown—
with prospective consumers as their temporary guests—is testimony to
this.
As is the repeated reference to the Beach Flats as the source of the
dangerous elements in downtown—references that seem acceptable across
the board, as they are made by residents, merchants, and homeless
citizens alike. We are afraid of confrontations with difference, of
heterogeneity, of any form of friction—we are agoraphobic, scared of
others, afraid of precisely that which we need to make us strong. Of
course this superstitious disposition is neither the fault of Sarah
Phelan, nor of the Metro Editorial Staff, nor for that matter of the
City Council. What all three entities should be taken to task for,
however, is that they present this superstition without challenging it
systematically.
After glossing over the myth of the “dangerous” Beach Flats and the
victimized chain store—or rather allowing these myths to speak for
themselves—it is downright aggravating to see Phelan take on the quite
evident process of gentrification and dismiss it as mythical. One almost
gets the impression that Phelan is bent on ignoring the facts. Has she
forgotten that the fear that the Cinema 9 would drive out the Del Mar
cannot be so quickly dismissed, as the theater actually did go under,
and the “beautiful renovation” touted by one of her interviewees was
made possible only by a city government bailout. And while the Dotcom
bomb may have made a serious dent in the office rentals downtown, it has
not made a dent in the rent prices that the previous Dotcom boom helped
drive skyward.
Luckily, it seems that there are still plenty of us left who realize
that the replacement of the social considerations with economic
transactions is an unacceptable compromise. For now, even the Committee
Forums and Reality checks that offered such a startling illustration of
the problem also offered us a good picture of those people left in
resistance. The biggest danger, then, is that we will slowly be taught
to underestimate the import of this struggle to maintain our spaces for
civic confrontation. When that happens, we will have lost a monumental
battle in the fight for self determination. In the final analysis, what
must become more and more clear to all of us is that ironically, the
capacity for self determination depends on our willingness to be
confronted, often uncomfortably, by others.

All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where noted
otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in whole
or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or by
government agencies.

-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office