[Dryerase] Asheville Wal-Mart decision postponed

Shawn G dr_broccoli at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 21 20:57:44 CDT 2002

mostly a local concern but maybe interesting if your fighting a walmart in
your town

Asheville Wal-Mart decision postponed; continuance scheduled for July 23

By Beth Trigg

Asheville, North Carolina, July 26 (AGR)— After nine hours of public
comment, Asheville City Council voted on June 26 to postpone their decision
on the proposed Super Wal-Mart development at the Sayles Bleachery site
until almost a month later.  Hundreds spoke out against the development,
including neighborhood residents, environmentalists, business owners, and
former mayor Leni Sitnick.

”We were elected to make these decisions,” said Councilwoman Terry Bellamy,
“if that means extra time, that’s OK.”

The discussion will continue, and a final decision will likely be made, at
the Council meeting on July 23 at 5pm.

Community Supported Development (CSD), the grassroots organization that is
coordinating opposition to the development, says that they are gratified
that Council voted for the continuance.

“We are glad that Council had the good judgement to recognize the problems
with Riverbend Business Partners’ plan,” says Christopher Fielden, an Oakley
homeowner and member of CSD.  “City Council is acknowledging with this
continuance what we have been saying all along: there are serious issues
relating to traffic, impact on surrounding neighborhoods, environmental
impact, and other conditions of the city’s Unified Development Ordinance
that must be addressed.”  Fielden joined hundreds of other Asheville
residents speaking at the city’s public hearing on the development on June
25.

Because the public hearing portion of the meeting was officially closed
before the council’s decision to postpone, there will likely be no
opportunity for public comment at the meeting on the 23rd.  However, CSD
encourages citizens to attend: “We need Council to know that the eyes of the
public are watching this decision,” said Sharon Martin.

The developers have told Council that their plan, as Bob Deutch puts it,
“complies fully with the UDO, and would be very, very good both for
Asheville and Buncombe County.” Their testimony included references to job
creation, “beautification” of an “eyesore” [the existing Sayles buildings],
and increased sales and property tax revenues for the city.  The developers’
local architectural consultants, Masters and Gentry, refer to the
development as “creating living, working, and other opportunities” for the
general public in Asheville.

Opponents want to make sure that Council hears substantial arguments against
the development based on the environmental impacts and the effects on local
neighborhoods.  “But if we want Council to know that there’s another
perspective on this,” says Heather Steele, who opposes the development,
“we’d better make sure we’re there in Council Chambers.”