[Dryerase] The Alarm!--We can't afford an anti-war movement

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Nov 14 22:31:01 CST 2002

We can't afford an anti-war movement

By Chris Kortright
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor

The momentum of the war machine is increasing with the UN Security
Council’s vote in favor of the US’s resolution on Iraq. The war machine
is not the only thing that has gained momentum; the anti-war movement
has been increasing its voice and appearances on the national and local
scenes. I want to pose a few questions to the readers regarding the
anti-war movement. Do we need an anti-war movement? What does that
movement accomplish? We must oppose the war, but can it be framed
within the context of a “peace” or “anti-war” movement? Approaching the
war under these labels and moral discussions detracts us from the
larger issue: that this war is a product of capitalism.

The immediate focus on the war, although necessary, should not distract
our attention from the issue of capitalist exploitation and expansion
both locally and globally. We need to analyze and oppose the war from
an anti-capitalist perspective because the war is motivated by capital
interests. I know many readers are thinking that this statement is
obvious, but if you go to the Ocean/Water Street weekly protests, you
see American Flags, signs that say “negotiations not bombs” and little
analysis of either capitalism or nation-state projects.

So, lets look at the war in economic terms. Our present militaristic
and aggressive foreign policy is an attempt to minimize competition
between capitalist cores and encourage monopolization of markets
through imperialist tactics. A large part of the present scenario is
the control of oil sources, but not necessarily the oil in the Middle
East. US policy makers have their eyes on oil in Central Asia. The US
also wants to control sources of oil on which Europe and Japan (our
competition within the cores) are dependent. Iraq in many ways is a
gateway to both Iran and Central Asia; the US has strategically had its
eye on Iraq since the first Gulf War.

Most of the discussions regarding the “War on Terrorism,” or even a
“War against Islam,” miss the motivations of US global militarism. The
militaristic actions are for economic domination, profit and improved
competitiveness through the control of Central Asian oil; it is not
motivated by desires for the removal of Saddam Hussein or the
elimination of bin Laden. The economic motivations mean we can’t resist
US policies in the name of “anti-war.” This will be an anti-war
resistance that would fail because the short term view of our situation
is extremely bleak. We will bomb Iraq, and then other countries will
move into the scope of US policies unless we take down capitalism and
remove the motivations for US militaristic interventions.

If we hope to show solidarity to those suffering on the global
capitalist peripheries, we need to do more then stop bombs from being
dropped on them. We must attack the economic apparatus that has
initiated these militaristic attacks. An “anti-war” movement can not
achieve this. An analysis of militaristic violence that ignores
economic violence will not end or reduce suffering in either the
peripheries or the cores. I’m not calling to integrate war resistance
into the “anti-globalization” movement because the issue cannot be seen
as “anti-global.” There is a need for globalism right now. But
globalism should not be confused with capitalist globalization. The way
to stop wars and suffering is to incorporate our resistance to US
militaristic interventions into the larger global anti-capitalist
resistance.

      All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.