[Dryerase] Voices That Must Be Heard

Dania Rajendra nyvoices at indypress.org
Mon Nov 18 18:56:15 CST 2002

Dear Dry Erase people,

Thanks for welcoming me to your content exchange. Assuming it's alright

with the group, I'll post Voices That Must Be Heard, a weekly digest of

New York's immigrant, ethnic and community press stories, every week.

Just a note about permissions, though. We're pleased to present the work

of these journalists and encourage other publications to pick it up. We

do not own the rights-they rest with the source publication. So to

reprint a story, you can contact the paper directly or you can contact

me and I'll help you get permissions. Often papers don't charge for

reprints, but it's necessary to check in with them. We ask for a

courtesy line, and a link.

We do own the rights to the collection as a whole, so if someone wants

to pick an entire issue, or a special section, give me a shout. I'll

post an abbreviated version of all of this when I post Voices, but I

just wanted to give that

All the best, and looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Dania.

Dania Rajendra

Editor, Voices That Must Be Heard

Independent Press Association - New York

www.indypressny.org * 212/279-1442 * 143 West 29th St., 901, New York,

NY 10001

Voices That Must Be Heard: Election Special Section Find the full text
at www.indypressny.org <http://www.indypressny.org/> .

A special election week extra! 8 November 2002.

Advisory Editor: Abu Taher, Executive Editor of Bangla Patrika, an
IPA-member publication.

Elections Special Section:

Nice guy finished second by Adam Dickter, Jewish Week, 8 November 2002.
English language.

In retrospect, the McCall campaign was “too cautious” and lacking focus,
according to some politcal observers. They criticized McCall’s campaign
for downplaying the historic nature of his candidacy as the state’s
first black major-party candidate for governor. Some fear backlash over
weak Jewish support. MORE.

Black voter apathy eroding black political and economic power by Walter
Smith, New York Beacon, 6 November 2002. English language.

We’ve come too far, marched too long, prayed too hard, wept too
bitterly, bled too profusely, and died too young to not take advantage
of the battles we’ve won. As the Black media, we need to do a better job
of educating our community on the importance of voting. MORE.

Chinese Americans pleased by Pataki’s landslide by Xiaoqing Rong, Sing
Tao Daily, 6 November 2002. Translated from Chinese by Yik Kong.

“In New York, the Republican Party is the minority party. However, its
policies match the visions of many Chinese Americans,” said Republican
Hsieh Mei-Lin. Others disagree, saying that although Pataki has a good
record of achievement, the governor’s failure to address workers’
problems after September 11th exposes his weakness. MORE.

David Chong lost his third bid for Palisades Park City Council by an
unexpectedly large margin by Joo-Chan Kim, Korea Times New York, 6
November 2002. Translated from Korean by Jeongwoo Han.

Republican David Chong received a total of just 865 votes for the
Palisades Park, N.J. City Council. Chong's campaign staff called the
result shocking, since this year's total was much less than last year's.
MORE.

Whom should American Muslims vote for? Republicans, Democrats or the
Green Party by Wakil Ansari, Urdu Times, 18 October 2002. Translated
from Urdu by Rehan Ansari.

In the 2000 presidential elections, many Muslims, including me,
championed the cause of the Republican Party. Disillusioned by Bush’s
support for Israel, the War on Terror, the USA Patriot Act, racial
profiling, roundups and detentions in our community, I now support the
Green Party. If you look at the platform of the Green Party, you will
realize that Muslim Americans have a lot to gain from supporting it.
MORE.

Korean-Americans have the highest voter turnout ever by Jun-Whan Lee,
Jong-Whun Kim, Korea Daily News, 6 November 2002. Translated from Korean
by Jeongwoo Han.

Too busy to vote: Filipino-American voters tend to become apolitical due
to present by Emelyn Tapaoan, Filipino Express, 8 November 2002. English
language.

Impact in the Hispanic community by Mariana Reyes Angleró, Hoy, 7
November 2002. Translated from Spanish by Hillary Hawkins.

Filipino supporters blame Gonzalez defeat on lack of support from Fil-Am
community by Anthony D. Advincula, Filipino Express, 8 November 2002.
English language.