[Dryerase] AGR Asheville Police Dept

AGR editors at agrnews.org
Mon Nov 18 16:20:33 CST 2002

Asheville Global Report
www.AGRNews.org

Reprinting permitted for non-profit use, and by the members of the DryErase
news wire.
Photo Available at http://www.agrnews.org/issues/199/index.html
AGR editor injured by Asheville Police

By Nicholas Holt

Asheville, North Carolina, Nov. 6 (AGR)—  Early on the morning of  Nov. 1,
following police disruption of a Halloween-inspired midnight marching band
parade in downtown Asheville, city resident and Asheville Global Report
editor Eamon Martin was arrested by one or more members of the Asheville
Police Department (APD).
Martin, who was injured during the arrest, feels both the arrest and the
degree of force employed by the police were unjustified.
Martin recalls immediately before his arrest that he stood with his hands
in the air and verbally expressed his compliance with the officers.
During his arrest, Martin’s face was thrown against a street curb. As a
result, his right eye was so badly swollen that he was unable to open it
for three days and was forced to miss a day of work.
Martin recalls the arrival of police as the only down-side to what had been
an enjoyable Halloween celebration.
“[The parade] was really large and festive and was making its way through
downtown and looked like a lot of fun – and it was. We had a great time.
People were just dancing and singing and carrying on to a marching band,”
says Martin, who estimates the crowd size at 150 - 200.
“The next thing I know, we were penned in by cops. A cop car was coming up
through the parade slowly and telling people to disperse. So, I walked away
from the cop car. I was pretty annoyed at this, so I barked out ‘Fuck
this,’ and immediately noticed that a cop, who I found out later was
Officer D. Loveland, got out of her car.”
Martin then ran from the police. He did this because of “a previous
altercation in which I was arrested for watching someone get ticketed and
was found guilty. I didn’t want to have that happen again.”
That previous arrest and subsequent conviction left Martin with a cynical
view of justice in the city of Asheville. During his trial, he says he
observed a disturbing level of apparent camaraderie between his public
defender and the officer.
“I got the overall sense, especially from the judge
that city workers are
looking out for each other and aren’t going to embarrass each other, or
give each other any trouble, to keep the status quo relations of power the
way they are,” says Martin, explaining his desire to avoid conflict with
the police that early morning last week. “So I tried to avoid arrest. I
ran, and thought I was doing what they wanted – I was dispersing.”
Seeing that he was being chased,  Martin says he stopped running after
about half a block.
“I put both arms in the air, and I said ‘I give up, I’m compliant, I’m
compliant,’ and then, about two seconds later, the next thing I know, I’m
on the pavement and my head was whacked into the curb.
“My face hit the curb. I’m lucky it wasn’t my teeth or my nose.”
Martin said that when he asked Loveland, “Did you just smack me down on the
pavement because I said the word ‘fuck’?” the police officer replied that
that was indeed the case.
Martin notes that, although the police “couldn’t hear me say [he was
compliant], they could hear me mutter an obscenity from inside a squad car.”
City of Asheville ordinance code Article 1, Sec. 11-9 does forbid “loud or
boisterous swearing in any public place in the city,” but Martin was not
charged with this offence.
Martin is charged with resist, delay and abstruct. His  citation form, as
filled out by Officer Loveland, reads that he “Did appear intox [sic] and
disruptive in a public place to wit: cursing by saying fuck this when told
to dispurse [sic].”
“I had been drinking,” says Martin. “but I don’t know that I would have
called myself intoxicated.”
The police report gives  no record of Martin being administered a
breathalizer or otherwise tested for blood alcohol content.
Also arrested was AGR volunteer Shane Perlowin.
“I was walking down the street and saw Eamon being chased down by some cops
and so, like I do for anybody, I walked over [because] I was concerned
there wouldn’t be anybody to view what was going on,” Perlowin says.
Perlowin says a police officer threatened him with a tazer gun and
announced “I’ll fucking zap your ass,”  and ordered Perlowin  to back up,
which Perlowin says he did.
Perlowin says he was then handcuffed tightly enough to leave bruises and
taken to the jail where he says he  was groped and sexually harassed by the
officer who frisked him.
North Carolina state law allows for the use of force during arrests (NCGS
15a-401(d)) but the  document is clear in its prohibition of abuse of such
police power: “Nothing in this subdivision [of the general statute]
constitutes justification for willful, malicious, or criminally negligent
conduct by any person which injures or endangers any person or property,
nor shall it be construed to excuse or justify the use of unreasonable or
excessive force.”
Asheville’s citywide regulations are even more explicit: “Officers will use
only the minimum amount of force necessary to achieve lawful objectives.
Any use of excessive force may subject the officer to disciplinary action,
civil damages, and criminal prosecution.” (Policy Number: 1030)
The same document states that “Whenever any officer uses any force that
results in
serious physical injury to another person, the Chief or his
designee will place the officer on administrative leave or assign him to
duties that do not require carrying a firearm, until completion of the
investigation. [And] relieve the officer of his weapon after the
incident
Any officer involved..[shall] attend a preliminary counseling
session with the Employee Assistance Program.”
As of press time, the APD did not provide the AGR with requested
information regarding Officer Loveland or other officers present at
Martin’s arrest in relation to these regulations.
The APD’s “Mission,” “Values,” and “Guiding Principals” include the following:
u “We subscribe to the principle that services will be delivered in a
manner which preserves and upholds democratic values within our neighborhoods.”
u “The mission of the Asheville Police Department is to provide community
leadership, to promote individual responsibility, and a commitment to
improving the City’s quality of life through crime control and public
safety while serving all people with fairness and respect.”
u “We believe that quality service is achieved by
 maintaining the highest
standards of honesty, trustworthiness, and mutual respect.”
u “The Asheville Police Department [work is] consistent with the following
principles: Respect for human rights
” [Italics added].
Martin says he encountered little respect, fairness, or regard for his
human rights during his experience and notes that he feels the behavior of
the APD resembled that of “bullies who could exercise brutality with
impunity
I found my rights to be very flexible and highly negotiable as far
as they were concerned.”
After being held for three or four hours, Martin was released.
“Right before they let me go, one of the corrections officers said
something to the effect of ‘Are you gonna sue us? Don’t sue us. I mean, you
can go ahead and sue us, but you’re not gonna win, because we’re well
protected and backed by the state,’” he says,  noting  “I was slightly
amused by this remarkable honesty.”