[Dryerase] Eddie Hatcher

Shawn G dr_broccoli at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 3 22:04:44 CDT 2002

Asheville Global Report
www.AGRnews.org

Reprinting permitted for non-profit organizations, and members of the
dry-erase news wire.

Hatcher sent to solitary for illness

By Elizabeth Allen

Asheville, North Carolina, Oct. 1 (AGR)—  After being written up for
“refusing to submit to a drug test,” political prisoner Eddie Hatcher has
been sentenced to 60 days “disciplinary segregation” this past week.
Correction officers came into his cell at 1am on Monday morning for a
routine “random” drug test. The previous day, Hatcher, who has AIDS, took a
styrofoam cup of what he described as “almost pure blood” to the unit
manager after noticing blood in his urine for about a week. The manager then
called medical. However, Hatcher says he did not receive treatment that
night and was informed the facility was already occupied by someone in lock
up.
Later that night he said the nurse at the medicine window told him it
sounded like he had a kidney stone, and to drink lots of water and fill out
a sick call.
The condition made him able to urinate, a point he and a nurse from prison
say is indicated in the medical documentation from the prison. Nevertheless,
after suffering all weekend, he was administered a drug test. “I told the
officer I had a health problem and I couldn’t pee if they’d give me parole.
He told me to drink 8oz of water, which he gave me and then gave me two
hours,” Hatcher recounts. Still physically unable to cooperate, Hatcher was
written up.
In a phone conversation with Hatchers Sister, Ginger Ammerman, the nurse
said if an inmate is unable to urinate then he is in kidney breakdown.
Ginger Ammerman, Hatcher’s sister, said she believes that he received extra
time in the hole because he pleaded not guilty. Inmates are allowed appeal
hearings for infractions.
“He has to appeal it himself, and can’t have an attorney. And where is it
going to go?” Ammerman commented, reflecting her doubt that prison officials
listen unbiased to an inmate’s cases.
In a conversation with Ammerman, Marion Correctional Superintendent Sid
Harkleroad reportedly expressed that he and other employees at the prison
were angry over the contents of Hatcher’s website, www.eddiehatcher.org. He
mentioned that a couple of employees had contacted lawyers and wanted to sue
Hatcher, even though the website uses no names and does not specifically
incriminate any particular officer.
Hatcher’s website contains a new section specifically about the North
Carolina prison system, including prison articles, poetry, and his personal
prison dairy.
In this section Hatcher denounces the over 30 prison enterprises operating
in NC which make the prisons nearly self-sufficient, leaving 80% of the
Department of Correction (DOC) budget for salaries. He emphasizes that
nonviolent inmates are treated so harshly that when released they will be
ill-adjusted and violent, “releasing all of the pent up psychological
torment compliments of the NC Department of Correction.”
“Prisons have become modern day torture chambers with chains attached to
cold steel slabs were prisoners may lay naked in their own urine and feces
for days and weeks,” said Hatcher on his website.
Currently, Hatcher is serving life without parole for the 1999 drive-by
shooting murder of Brian McMillan, a 19-year-old drug dealer in Maxton, NC.
A jury convicted Hatcher, after less than 3 hours of deliberation, of
shooting into an occupied property and first degree murder. He was acquitted
of assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill McMillan’s
girlfriend, Amila Chavis, who was shot in the hip during the incident.
Forensic reports show that bullets found in McMillan’s body don’t match the
rifle Hatcher carries in his truck. There were two types of bullets found on
the crime scene. In order for Hatcher to have been able to commit the crime,
he would have had to fire two weapons simultaneously while driving a
five-speed truck down a country road at night – an impossible feat,
considering that his left arm is permanently disabled due to a gunshot wound
he received the previous November.
Hatcher’s conviction was partially based on an alleged “confession,”
“casually” made to a police officer while the two  were alone, seven minutes
after the SBI (State Bureau of Investigation) read him his rights and he
refused to make a statement, but asked to see an attorney. There is also
evidence that the district attorney bribed witnesses, and had previous
affiliations with and concealed information about a juror. During the trial
Judge Frank Floyd ordered Hatcher to represent himself as a defendant in a
capital case.
Prior to the recent jail time, Hatcher served five years after the 1988
takeover of the Robesonian newspaper offices in Lumberton, NC. Hatcher and
his friend Timmy Jacobs demanded to speak with Governor Jim Martian to get a
guarantee of an investigation into dozens of uninvestigated, unsolved
murders in which police were suspected of involvement, the local government
corruption concerning the vibrant drug trade coming from I-95, and the death
of a young Black man in the county jail. Several hostages were released
unharmed after they negotiated with the governor, who, aside from looking
into the county jail death, failed to hold up his end of the bargain.
Hatcher and Jacobs were motivated to do the takeover when Hatcher began to
fear that he would be killed by law enforcement after they began staking out
his apartment.
Hatcher says the police were keeping an eyeon him because he was
investigating the Robeson County drug trade and had obtained documents which
he says implicated the police in trafficking. Hatcher was a member of and
served as secretary for Concerned Citizens for Better Government, a group
founded in 1986 by members of the Native American and African American
communities in reaction to the violence and evidence of police drug dealing
in the area.
With the September death of Christopher Wood in Murphy and the approximately
11 other inmate deaths this year
due to lack of medical attention, the treatment of inmates with medical
problems has gotten a lot of press in recent times. Keith Acree, a public
information officer for the NCDOC, asserted that most of the problems
concerning lack of medical care that have been in the press occur in the
county jails, run by the individual sheriff’s departments. They receive
minimal state oversight from the Detention Services Department of the Health
and Human Services office, which also regulates fire and safety codes.
Acree said that he felt the prison was capable of treating a prisoner with
AIDS, and explained an inmate can be transferred to a different hospital
facility within the system if sick call deems it necessary.
Ammerman remains doubtful that all necessary medical treatment has been
provided.
“I know one thing for sure and that’s I can’t see him [Hatcher] or talk to
him for 60 days, and Eddie might be dead in 60 days,” she said. She also
said that a doctor had recommended a kidney sonogram on Hatcher because
kidneys are a particular area of concern for AIDS patients.
“Certainty it doesn’t hurt for people to call or email [Marion Correctional
Institution] and ask about Eddie and see if he’s doing ok and getting the
treatment he needs,” said Ammerman. She also noted Hatcher has lost between
70 and 80 pounds while in prison.
Acree said that the prison policy was to be both “fair and firm with every
inmate,” and, “We don’t treat Eddie any differently than we treat any other
inmate.”
In reference to the drug test, Acree claims Hatcher’s name just popped up
randomly on the computer. and that, “Our medical folks said he was given
adequate opportunity to give a sample.”
Acree said they weren’t punishing him for his website because he’s already
had it for a number of years.
Superintendent Harkelroad’s secretary said Harkelroad was currently
unavailable for comment and was not likely to do so.