[Dryerase] Asheville joins people worldwide to say, ‘Not in Our Name’

Asheville Global Report editors at agrnews.org
Sun Oct 13 15:35:37 CDT 2002

Asheville joins people worldwide to say, ‘Not in Our Name’

By Shane Elliott and Kendra Sarvadi

Asheville, North Carolina, Oct. 8 (AGR)--  Sunday, Oct. 6 marked the
anniversary eve of the day that US bombs began falling on Afghanistan, as
well as the day that the United States government declared war on people’s
rights at home. Peace activists across the US and around the world
participated in an international day of resistance, embracing the theme
“Not In Our Name” as a call to action to all conscious citizens tired of
war as a quick and simple-minded ‘answer’ to complex world problems.
Around 150 concerned citizens of Asheville packed the area in front of the
Vance monument on Oct. 6 to listen to speakers and songs, to express their
opposition to war, and to call for peace. The activists were from a diverse
range of ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds, as well as of a
variety of ages. Small children danced while members of the activist
community led alternately in singing and addressing the crowd with facts
about the illegitimacy of the current war on Iraq, the US’s dependence on
Middle Eastern oil, and Bush’s corporate greed-based policies of world
domination.
“This is the first time I’ve come out to protest anything
 my sign says,
‘Could it be we are the evildoers?’ and from what I’ve seen of this
government we pretty much are
 I think we’re bordering on facism,” said
Marsten, one of Sunday’s participants.
Asheville resident Anne Craig, who organized the demonstration, said she
was pleased with the turnout.
“The goal was for people to leave feeling hopeful, that we can cause
positive change, and stop this war machine that threatens our survival,”
said Craig.
Many participants indicated that  the presence of one counter-demonstrator
aside  the response from passers-by had been overwhelmingly supportive.
“Everyone who drove by was honking and waving
 some people who drove by
saw the signs, and stopped and got out and stood with us and asked for
signs
” said Barry, another participant.
“I think all the talk of the war has, so far, obscured the main issues
say that it’s just about oil is kind of simplistic, but that’s the core
issue. America wants to dominate and control the Middle East.
 They’ve
been trying hard to find any way to connect Iraq with 9-11, and there is no
connection
bin Laden and his network don’t work with with Iraq; they’re
fundamentalists and Hussein has been trying to crush the fundamentalists in
his own country for years
  The Bush administration has been trying to use
what happened to us a year ago as an excuse to further the oil agenda,” he
added.